which supercharger is best?

bumpin84gt350

Founding Member
Jun 6, 2002
sequim,wa
i have a friend that just got done building a 65 fairlane and he installed a crate gt40 302 in it. he has all the goodies 75 mm throttle body, march pullies, hooker super comp headers, 78 mm maf, and on and on anyway he was looking to put a huffer on it and he wants some input. money is not a big deal but which is the most reliable, and puts out the best numbers. i suggested the kenne bell flowzilla but he likes the paxton set-up. so what the best boys. thanx for the input.

• Sponsors (?)

I think you may have opened up a very touchy and opinionated subject. I went the Vortech for a couple of reasons. First, I always liked the looks of a Vortech over the Paxton. Second, Vortech came out with an newer more efficent version for my application. Third, the Vortech runs off the engines oil. Fourth, I was able to get a better deal on a Vortech than a Paxton. Lastly, my friend had a Paxton and they would not honor his warranty when it broke. A Vortech was better for me but may not be best for everyone. I liked the Procharger but didn't want to have to relocate my battery. The Procharger air to air intercooler is a nice option though. Powerdyne loses the "whine" since it has an internal belt drive so that was a definite no for me. The Flowzilla has always interested me but I had just spent a lot of man hours polishing my new intake and didn't want to get rid of it. Bottom line: I don't believe any supercharger company is bad, its just some are better for your application. Your friend has to figure out which one is best for him. :nice:

Vortech and Paxton are the same company and are very similar in design to boot. I think the Paxtons are outfitted a little better and have beefier brackets. You really can't go wrong with a Vortech either. They are all around excellent superchargers. I know a lot guys are going to squak like parrots after I say this but nothing will outlast an eaton supercharger like the Cobra has. They definately don't perform as well but man do those last. It all depends on your needs.

This is like asking what's the best flavor in ice cream.

My opinion (as a Vortech owner) is that there are four excellent makers of superchargers for the 5.0: Vortech, Paxton, Procharger and Kenne Bell. All make great street kits. Just take your pick.

ArtMan said:
This is like asking what's the best flavor in ice cream.

So true!

I think the Kenne Bell is the best blower. Set for 9 psi and enjoy. Don't fall prey to "psi envy". For a car that will likely see the street more than any other venue, the instant and substantial bottom end boost in torque the Kenne Bell delivers can not be beat.

At idle you can kinda hear it a little, but under full throttle it sounds totally unique and wild.

That's my opinion anyway.

I persoanlly think the prochargers are the best but with that comes more money, they are over priced if you ask me. I went with vortech and like it, whether or not its the best is another question, same with paxton. It all depends on what your looking for and will suit your application.