Whine From Drivetrain After Aluminum Driveshaft Install

Scott7512

May 19, 2015
Branchland WV
Just installed a ford racing aluminum driveshaft a few days ago. I have driven it twice for about 5 miles each trip and after about three miles there is a whine that starts from what sounds like the transmission. I haven't pushed it because I don't want to get stranded. The u joints are sealed. the Trans did leak a little fluid but I filled it back up. Do I have to break it in?

• Sponsors (?)

Drove it again and after I got back, I was looking around and noticed that the yoke was pretty hot. The old one shows wear. I think it has something to do with the new yoke and the old bearing in the tail shaft. Do you think it will go away after the new yoke seats to the bearing?

Ok, I watched a video on changing the rear seal and the guy said to put bearing grease on the yoke so I took the shaft out and greased the yoke. I also noticed that the seal was one with the dust cover and the shoulder of the yoke had it pushed in. I cut the dust cover off and put the greased shaft back in. Took it on the same 5 mile trip and had no noise. Maybe the rubber boot rubbing against the yoke or because I did not grease the yoke caused the whining sound after warming up. Here is a recording.
cid:DC0CA889-993B-4743-ADC0-BE0237AE3C95