Whining noise coming from fan....

Trefty

Aug 13, 2004
I'm having a whining/howling noise coming from my fan after I shutoff the engine, just wondering if anyone could tell me what they think could be causing the fan to do this? I sprayed some WD-40 into the clutch area, and that seemed to remedy the problem for a short while, but it still remains. I'm going to take the fan assembly apart tommorow and clean it off and rebolt it and see if that fixes the problem, but just wondering if anybody has any other ideas/suggestions? Thanks : )

• Sponsors (?)

note on the clutch if there is silicone leaking all over. if the viscous coupling is dry, that could lead to issues. while things are apart, check the water pump for nice rotation. Generally with a water pump if the bearings are going, they start weeping though.

you have the right idea - just give it a once over. ratcheting box end wrenches make quick work of ran R/R.

good luck.

HISSIN50 said:
note on the clutch if there is silicone leaking all over. if the viscous coupling is dry, that could lead to issues. while things are apart, check the water pump for nice rotation. Generally with a water pump if the bearings are going, they start weeping though.

you have the right idea - just give it a once over. ratcheting box end wrenches make quick work of ran R/R.

good luck.

Thanks for the encouragement :)

The thing is, I just took off the fan assembly to change the water pump on Friday, so that is all in good shape. I'm assuming that I possibly didn't put the fan together properly when I re-installed it, perhaps it is off a bit or something?

The viscous coupling is where the clutch attaches to the fan? Anyway, hopefully taking apart the fan and clutch assembly and cleaning it all off and reassembling will correct the problem.

Trefty said:
Thanks for the encouragement :)

The viscous coupling is where the clutch attaches to the fan?
Inside the clutch itself is the viscous coupling. There is a bi-metallic spring in there which covers an orifice. So the bi-metallic spring (The movement and relative position of which is controlled via temperature) controls how much the clutch locks up by manipulating the flow of silicone through the orifice. If you hold the clutch body and spin the snout, you are feeling this coupling. :) (You knew that - just my lack of clarity the first time). :nice:

If you note the fan not sitting in the middle of the fan shroud, but rather too low, that is a sign of bad motor mounts (just FYI - been there and done that).

The stock fans are prone to cracking - something to note (the cracks spread when the fan is spinning). I replaced mine with a metal replacement blade.

Otherwise, I bet you find the issue after a couple mins of lookin stuff over.

good luck!

Ok, perfect, thanks for taking the time to explain that to me. I'll make sure I check all those things over, knowing me however I managed to reassemble the fan improperly or something, hehehe.

IIRC, the clutches are fairly inexpensive and do go bad after some time. If you put it back together and still aren't happy -- it's a good bet it's time for a new one.

EDIT: Assuming it's not up against the shroud or something else mentioned already.

Trefty said:
Ok, perfect, thanks for taking the time to explain that to me. I'll make sure I check all those things over, knowing me however I managed to reassemble the fan improperly or something, hehehe.
Nah, give yourself some credit. :)

it could simply be the fan blade just barely touching the fan shroud or something like that, which was not an R/R SNAFU - just a wear issue.

I am sure you will have it whipped in no time. :nice: