White smoke from breather

DanG

Founding Member
Oct 8, 2000
Maryland
Noticed today when I started the car up, that I have a little bit of white smoke coming from the valve cover breather hole, which is normally plugged with an evac line which runs to a catch can.
I understand white smoke can mean water being burned in the combustion process, or worn rings.
However, the motor is essentially brand new with about 150 miles on it, and was recently dynoed and had a compression and leak down test done while on an engine dyno a few months ago, prior to the chassis dyno. It's just a matter of coincidence that I noticed the smoke, as the fitting for the catch can came loose and I noticed the smoke.

My question is, is a little bit of white smoke normal in a forced inducted motor, and one which is new? I'm thinking that it isn't, but I wanted to ask around.
The heads have cometic gaskets, and head studs.

• Sponsors (?)

I would be more concerned if white smoke (not condensation) was coming from the exhaust. Since you normally have a catch can there I'd assume that what you saw was either condensation or a bit of oil mist. Wondering though why you need a catch can on a new motor. I wouldn't think blow-by should be an issue on a fresh engine.