White stuff on valve covers and othe misc. parts??

DemonGT

Founding Member
May 24, 2002
Sparta,WI
i stored my car outside the garage covered over winter and just resently put it in the garage....i noticed right when i opend the hood that the alt. and alt bracket had this strange white flakey stuff on them..and it just wiped right off...after siting in the damp garage a few days the alt and alt bracket got this white stuff on it again..but now it was all over my nice polished valve covers also...

problum is it just dosnt whip off the valve covers...anyone know what this stuff is..what caused it and how to clean my valve covers..there the ford racing polished covers

also...when i had the factory motor in the car a few summers ago when i got it out of storage it had this type of white stuff around where i had a small coolent leak....but the new motor has no leak

• Sponsors (?)

DemonGT said:
i stored my car outside the garage covered over winter and just resently put it in the garage....i noticed right when i opend the hood that the alt. and alt bracket had this strange white flakey stuff on them..and it just wiped right off...after siting in the damp garage a few days the alt and alt bracket got this white stuff on it again..but now it was all over my nice polished valve covers also...

problum is it just dosnt whip off the valve covers...anyone know what this stuff is..what caused it and how to clean my valve covers..there the ford racing polished covers

also...when i had the factory motor in the car a few summers ago when i got it out of storage it had this type of white stuff around where i had a small coolent leak....but the new motor has no leak

This is probably just oxidation on the aluminum parts. You can use a metal polish to protect them.

I would recommend using Busch Chemicals Aluminum Polish.
Many polishes are amonia based, which hazes when it gets damp
or wet. Busch's aluminum polish is not amonia based, and has seemed
to keep my parts looking better-longer.

Plus: Duane Busch runs a Mustang in NMRA- so show his old mans company some support!

Busch Chemicals- 704- 878-2067

No BS. Once you try this stuff you will not use anything else.

Muthers aluminum polish is good. When I did my HCI I glass bead blasted my stock covers and then used a sandpaper flapper on them to make them look like Brushed alum. Here is a picture not sure how long it will show before webshots changes the link.

65093345foARLP_ph.jpg

Welcome to the wonderful world of polishing that same crap a million times each year. There is really nothihg you can do about it either. If you live in a climate where it gets cold in the winter, it will oxidize. Next winter, try putting a couple of open bags of charcoal under your car for the entire winter season. This seems to soak up some of the condensation that causes this crap.