Wheels-Tires Who’s Running a 275 tire and still using a quad shock?

Vinnyc1487

Jul 14, 2020
Chicago
This is my current set up with a 245/45/17 want to switch to a 275/40/17 in the rear but even if I flip the quad shock I don’t think there is any way I can get a 275 on with out rubbing. Any and all comments appreciated.
25B07DCE-25E8-4A30-8B5E-C836C649F77D.jpeg

• Sponsors (?)

I have 275's on 9" wide 17" ponies and they fit fine without doing anything to the quad shock, but I have the factory quad shocks and they look smaller than the ones you have.

Reactions: 1 user
You are using the wrong quad shocks.
Use stock ones or stock style.
When you see the price of quality brand stock style aftermarkets, you will just buy stock replacements.

I normally get flack for this but I'll say it again. I haven't run the quads in 20 years. Absolutely never once noticed any difference. So i don't know why anyone would want to create trouble for themselves and run them.
But...... If you want to, you want to. No problem. Just giving you a verified couple hundred thousand miles of actual use with no problems for reference. :D

If you use good tires, run the quad shocks.
I run drag radials and i can assure you, they make a difference.
If you run crap rubber and the tires just let go, it may not matter.

I think i paid like $50 for a set. My 275 35 18 drag radials run very wide.
If i can fit them, my guess is almost anyone can. So i see no reason not to use them.

Why are you running the quads anyway? Looks like you have a nice lower control arm.

I ran without quads for years and always had wheel hop. Max Motorsports lowers, brand new rubber upper control arms. Different combinations of springs, shocks and tires. I checked the pinion angle and it was spot on, but always had hop. I've always run good sticky tires.

Finally I just ended up putting them back on and they do the job.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
The Gabriel quad shocks that are much skinner and looks like the oem shocks are only $33 a piece. That’s the route I plan on going with. Esp since I removed my rear end dampener years ago when I did my 3.73

I’m running 17” 275 with no tire rub. Brand new Gabriel’s flipped, but I notice what seems to be the quad rubbing against the main shock.
I’m thinking of just removing the quad(running MM control arms), or maybe removing the dust shield like suggested may do the trick! I’ll have to think about it.

Let me borrow some words from Dan02gt, "
I have 275's on 9" wide 17" ponies and they fit fine without doing anything to the quad shock, but I have the factory quad shocks and they look smaller than the ones you have."
However, I am doing it on a 95 GT Convertible. Also, you appear to have KYB replacements. The Gabriels do not have the upper tube, which is the part rubbing.
1650126269455.png