Who builds a quality rebuild kit for my 302, preferrably NOT hyper pistons?

85_SS_302_Coupe

it sucks (I know) to be on the receiving end
15 Year Member
Nov 11, 2003
Northern KY
Or would it be ok to reuse my stock forged '85s? I'm starting to get a little uneasy to the fact that my motor is pushing something over 250k miles (232k before the OD stopped working GOD knows how long ago) So i'm thinking about rebuilding. I'm weighing the prices of a nice rebuild to just swapping a junkyard 351 in (which i may as well have to rebuild also)

Either way, i'm pretty broke so cheaper is better as long as i'm not throwing money away.

• Sponsors (?)

Summit has some decent rebuild kits as does Jegs for about $500 or less. About forged pistons though, if you opt for one of those kits, the price alone of the entire kit can more than double in price just because of the forged pistons. Hypereutectic pistons aren't as bad as you think they are - the higher the silicone content, the better. They're lighter weight and have a nice ability to deflect heat back into the combustion chamber to get a little bit more of a complete burn and the engine runs cooler for sure. Casted are what you really don't want to come across. If you pick and match your kit, Ross are about the best pistons i've seen and Keith Black makes some nice ones as well. You say you're on a budget, and I really like forged as much as the next guy - but if that's what you want, you got to pay for the best.