Who does SCCA?

• Sponsors (?)

Shocks, springs and swaybars are all good of course. But I'd recommend putting on subframe connectors first to stiffen the chasis. Then I'd look at some modern wheels and tires. The biggest thing I notice at events in the old classic cars is guys trying to run with old gear that just don't perform. Tire wall deflection is common.... and body roll is darn right funny to watch. Any kit you can buy will be an upgrade. Or you can piece things together based on peoples advice or experience. Do you have to lower your car? I suppose not... but I'd recommend it.

The list is long.... but starting out with the subframes will be the best start in my opinion.

2bav8 regularly runs auto-x if I remember correct. I do it fairly often in my vette, but have yet to bring the mustang out to one.

I agree with the subframes as said above, but I would say one of the single largest improvements people make are tires. I have seen some should be much faster, obviously driver ability plays a huge roll, but a good tire goes a long way too.

Sure... their Grab-a-Trak system should be a big upgrade from stock. And they supposedly race their stuff. I don't have a rear sway bar. Start out with one of there kits and go from there. Don't forget the subs..

I say go try it with what you've got right now, as it passes the safety inspection. I suspect you'll have some good fun and also figure out where in your suspension you really need to spend your attention.

From a durability perspective, I agree with others that recommended subframe connectors, but I'd also highly recommend a good export brace (either one piece, or maybe like the TCP deal) and a montecarlo bar.

Beyond that, rebuild your suspension if you haven't already. Follow that with a good set of a good spring/shock combo, and matched sway bar(s), and the biggest soft compound tires that will fit. Don't forget the cheap but good basic modslike the shelby drop and cutting your stock springs (especially with a stiffer shock like KYBs). That should get you going and having fun for very little coin.

Hope this helps...

Things that made the biggest improvement on my SCCA auto-x coupe:

Opentracker's roller spring perch
Wide rims & tires
Shelby "drop"
Adjustable strut rods
Upgrade front sway bar (I run 1 1/8")
Monte Carlo bar
Export Brace
Subframe connectors
roller idler arm (manual steering)
Good shocks

Be sure to go thru you car and "batten down the hatches". Simple things like ensuring your battery is secure.... or even as blatant as checking your lug nuts. Once you get going... things tend to fly around. :)

Oh... and tighten that seat belt.... :)

To find event information try scca.org . Then click on either "find scca region nearest you" at the top, or "events", "solo" to the left. Search around and they have local contacts, how to join, and event schedules.

So you're REALLY ripping on the 1/4 mile guys then.... :)

Autocross is perfect for 99% of us though, really.

It's not door to door... so the risk of trashing your ride is minimal.

I can wake up the morning of an event and decide at the last minute to race.... throw in my tool box, kiss the kids and wife goodbye... and DRIVE my car to the race track. Hang out with my buddies all day... and drive home. There's no commitment... I make it fit MY schedule.

I get the thrill of pushing my car to the edge... and don't have to worry about the inherit dangers of a road course that has speeds capable of seriously hurting me or the car. The closest place to me is Road America... if you don't know... it's a four mile course with huge straights.

I like track fun days there... but if you put a clock on me or put someone in my mirror... the competitor in me is going to push the limits. Then I'm dangerous... to myself and to others.

So the math isn't always right.... :)

But if you want to lend me YOUR car... well then... that's different!!! ;)

2bav8 said:
Things that made the biggest improvement on my SCCA auto-x coupe:

Opentracker's roller spring perch
Wide rims & tires
Shelby "drop"
Adjustable strut rods
Upgrade front sway bar (I run 1 1/8")
Monte Carlo bar
Export Brace
Subframe connectors
roller idler arm (manual steering)
Good shocks

What? No rear sway bar?
What's the story?
Forgot to put it on the list
Tried it didn't help
Have one but it didn't make the list of best improvements
Satisified with the things the way they are?

Just curious as I really admire your approach to Mustang performance and I'm sure if you thought a rear sway bar would help it would be there!
I've read your web page many times and it doesn't appear that you left it off for financial reasons. :)

It really depends on what the work is.... but you could probably class out as an "E" Street Prepared car. But run in the Rear Street Tire class. That way you'll be with a bunch of similar cars, so to speak. Or you could run the novice class.

It really doesn't matter.... you won't be competing for trophies or anything your first year out. We you start getting close... then you'll get people sniffing around to make sure you're within the rules of the class. Worry about that stuff later.

Just get out there to listen and learn. You'll have a blast.