Who has had their MSD Ignition go bad?

mattsclean90

May 3, 2007
I just went to start my coupe and yet another MSD Digital 6 box has gone bad on me. I had one die on my 331 car a couple years ago and now this one has kicked the bucket too. Just wondering who has had theirs die as well and I just needed to vent a little as well......:mad:

• Sponsors (?)

Bottlfed and I both had distributors go on us. I made a thread about it and got a crazy response with lots of people who had the same experience. No word on the Digital 6 box though.

Yep. I've gone through 1,my cousin 2,and a close friend is also on his 2nd.Wonder why they don't last.I was told you could send them back to MSD for repairs,run about 40-60 bucks.Any truth to this?Beats paying $200+ for another new one

My previous one that died was fixed for free by MSD. But this one is out of warranty I'm afraid, so looks like I'll be calling MSD monday morning and seeing how much they are going to hit me for. Hopefully they will fix it for a good price beings that a new digital 6 plus costs $320......

i worked in a shop for three years and we had 5 or 6 go bad. 2 or 3 went bad due to welding and the arc messed up the box. but we recently bought one new for a s10 and it was bad from the dealer.

It would be interesting to see out of everyone thats had one die how many were mounted under the hood.

Heat+Electronics=Bad...

Ive had my 6AL for 2 years and no problems. If it dies I can always just plug in the stock ignition and keep goin.

My 6AL died shortly after I got my car. Car would not crank, but could bypass and it would work fine. It was probably on a while, but I junked it and only use the factory ignition w/ a JMS tune. Works well for me now.

I don't plan on using them again anytime soon.

not an ignition box, but i bought a set of MSD wires for my cobra a few years ago and 2 of them were bad, brand new. i went to napa and got their top of the line whatever its called wire and the car ran perfectly

I just went to start my coupe and yet another MSD Digital 6 box has gone bad on me. I had one die on my 331 car a couple years ago and now this one has kicked the bucket too. Just wondering who has had theirs die as well and I just needed to vent a little as well......:mad:
(hand goes up) Yep, add me to the list. Mine lasted about 6 years then one day just quit.

MSD TROUBLES

Add me to that list too. Only difference was mine would work sometimes and wouldn't work other times. I just ended up bypassing the 6AL box and hooking up the factory system. Took it to the local dealer in FL and they sent it out to be fixed. I think it costs about $40.00 for repairs, but that was back in 2002. I too thought MSD was quality stuff and also thought that type of thing was rare until i stumbled across this thread. Now it just sits in my garage i didn't really need it anyway because my set up is just a KB 2200 on a stock block with a 6lb pulley.

This might be helpful, off another forum
... We all know what a disappointment the Digital 6 has been for some of us here...many of us here actually.. I have had 3 returns to MSD, alot of you have had the same woes ...and that is where my story begins...I found an obscure reference to this company while perusing the MSD Technical Forums... Long story short.... I send an e-mail describing mine and many of my SCF colleagues woes, trials, and tribulations concerning the Digital 6 and ask if there was anything that could be done with it...They specialize in every other MSD ignition... I expect to get a response Monday or so... Wrong... 1.5 hours later I get a response asking for a contact number to discuss what can, cannot, and could never be done with the Digital six... I send my contact info..9:30 last night my phone rings... It's Techwest following up on the e-mail... I learned more about the inherent problems and upgrades of the MSD 6 series ignitions in 30 minutes than I ever learned anywhere else... Educated responses, technical but not baffling... Customer Service like it used to be.... and I haven't even spent a penny with these guys... As for my Digital 6...well... it is toast and "Not Economically repairable" as MSD would put it but now I have a good direction to head in IMHO. so here it is:http://www.techwestracing.com/index.html ... Hope that this may help some of you out...What have we got to lose anyway? I know this...based on just my personal experience I WILL NEVER BUY A DIGITAL 6 AGAIN... Analog for me thanks...