Who has problems speed shifting?

anthony05gt

Mar 18, 2006
Maryland
My car won't allow me to speedshift at high rpm's. I have a Centerforce dual friction clutch and their aluminum flywheel. On other forums, I've talked to several guys with aftermarket clutch systems who have also had this problem. We are searching for a possible fix and have heard several suggestions from replacing the whole hydraulic system to adding shims behind the slave. Any input would be appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

lets define "speed shifting" before we go on.......people have different definitions so lets all be on the same page. are you using the clutch?

JTGrant said:
he's talking about using the clutch but not letting off the gas.
some people consider speed shifting all gas, no clutch, and others think use the clutch, but dont let off the gas. thats why i am trying to define this scenario.....

If you're definition of speed shifting is using the clutch but not letting off the gas, that's what I do. I usually don't have a problem, but for some reason I have a little trouble with 2nd gear sometimes. My buddy doesn't have any problem speed shifting his, but both of us have stock clutch.

Shifting and using clutch and not letting up on throttle is what I have always known as "power shifting" vs "speed shift" as slightly letting up on throttle but still changing gears as quickly as possible.

Centerforce clutch kits have given me problems in the past on other vehicles that is why I will never run their crap again. McLeod makes a nice clutch.

One of the other guys I know with the problem has the McLeod clutch.

I'm not going to get into the definitions of types of shifting here, but I can't shift fast while taching 5500 or higher. I have to shift slow at high engine speeds, granny shift, shift like it's a farm tractor, etc. All lower rpm shifting is just peachy. One guy I've been talking to will be installing 2 shims behind the slave this weekend on his car. At least I'll know if that's a fix.

Any input will be appreciated. I'm getting sick of pulling the tranny out.

Bigcat, I always use the clutch unless it's completely broke.