Who makes overdrive pulleys for Mustangs?

Aftrbrnr

Whitey cashier gave me the wrong change at the sup
Founding Member
Feb 19, 2000
Canaduh
The eletrical load on my Mustang is very high, and the standard 75-amp alternator just can't keep up with my remote starter, PIAA headlight bulbs, and upgraded car audio system. I've got an underdrive pulley on it right now, and in terms of charging, it does no good. I was wondering who makes overdrive pulleys, does Ford make them? I was also wondering what would happen if I put an alternator pulley from a Special Service Police Mustang onto a standard 5.0 Mustang alternator.

• Sponsors (?)

Overdrive pullies?? are those bigger pullies that make things spin faster? As to your problem, just put in a 3G, it's not hard at all, and you'll be set, your 2G stock alternater is bound to gernade on you sometime, and if your lucky you can convice the "smart" people at your local autozone or whatnot to accept the 2G as the core repalcement for a 3G, like i did, and it only set me back less than 100 for the complete setup, search the forums and you'll find plenty about it.

Good luck!
-Bart

ASP makes a 1 7/8 Overdrive alt pulley.

If you need an Overdrive crank pulley....Lincoln Mark 7's are slightly bigger.

I run March underdrives with the ASP Overdrive alt pulley and 3G alt. I have the same electrical needs as you and get 14volts at idle with everything turned on

I'm bout to get an overdrive pulley for my 3g...because my stock alternator had a 2inch pulley on it and my 3g had a 2.5 inch pulley and they put about about the same voltage...

Time to go overdrive :nice:

David

With a good battery, and an ASP overdrive pulley, you should have no major problems with charging except if you sit in traffic alot. I run underdrives with the small alternator pulley on a 2G and my car charges great with everything on. Only do the 3G swap if you really thinks it's neccessary. Most of the time the overdrive pulley will help enough that you won't need to swap.

I have underdrive pullies with a 1 7/8" overdrive pulley on a brand new 2G alternator. It's terrible, it can't even run the headlights at 750 RPM. I've already bought a 3G, and am waiting for a power cable to arrive so I can swap.

I had a mitsubishi alt (120 amp) put in my stang a few years ago and with underdrives I am Ok exept for idle with lights and a/c on high. It dims my lights about 30%. It is a pain so I may go with a bigger alt from PA Performance.