Who wins this race??? 03 Cobra vs 91 GT

Kdubslugga

Jun 7, 2003
Akron, OH
Got a friendly bet goin with my cousin. He has an 03 Cobra with a Whipple and all the simple bolt ons. She dynoed 581 to the tires. My 91 GT whenever i get this thing tuned will be about 525 rwhp with mods listed below. This will be done at the track. If both cars had equal drivers who wins the race? Cousins 03 has no weight reductions, Im just guessing my car weighs about 3200-3300 with me in it.

• Sponsors (?)

The inlet side of a twin screw can be slightly reshaped and polished, but very minimally. Gains have been proven to be negligible in most cases at best. Twin Screw compressors are very, very sensitive to port timing. A fraction of a millimeter off in any direction can throw off port timing significantly, which can create leak down issues that would have dramatic effects on the units ability to build and maintain internal compression levels. Not to mention chances of elevated ACT’s and premature case/rotor wear. In the end, it may actually end up costing power, rather than creating it. Not to mention the effects it has on blower longevity.

Remember.....Twin Screw blowers are "compressors", not an "air transfer device" like an Eaton. Unlike a Twin Screw where compression takes place between the rotors in the head unit itself, Eaton’s don’t actually compress the air within their lobes at all. Air is actually paddled from the inlet to the outlet and any compression taking place is actually done post discharge port in the lower intake manifold, or the intake runners of the heads themselves. If that weren’t bad enough, unlike the hybrid roots style design the modern Eaton’s are based on, where ACT’s only elevate when the bypass valve closes and blower speed increase, Twin Screws are compressing the air...all of the time...always! This means during idle, putting around town or even cruising down the highway with the bypass valve running wide open. This creates higher cruise temperatures than can often lead to heat soak issues...even with the intercooled kits. Because of this, Eaton’s actually tend to operate at cooler temperatures about 95% of the time they’re in operation.....although some Twin Screw manufacturers would have you believe differently with some of their "creative advertising". Quite frankly, only under wide open throttle do Twin Screws display any more adiabatic efficiency over most OEM style Eaton’s (throw an aftermarket unit like the Magnuson or TVS line up into the mix and it isn’t even close) and even then with the 4th and 5th Generation Eaton’s, the differences are minimal.

This is pretty much why most don’t waste their time porting Twin Screws. Leave the port work to a more forgiving unit like an Eaton. If your buddy wants more airflow than his stock 140AX is putting out, tell him to pony the cabbage on a bigger blower. Porting is not where it’s at!

i like how everyone is rebuilding the 04 cobra and not answering his question.

I personally think you would win not by much but every cobra i have seen with a blower up grade and stock rear end seems to run high 11's or low 12's just like a pullied stock cobra.

i like how everyone is rebuilding the 04 cobra and not answering his question.

And I like how you think that there’s supposed to be some sort of definitive answer for us to give him? :scratch: :D

Flip a coin.....it’s not like we're comparing a Ford Focus and a GT500 here. The cars are pretty evenly matched, they both make over 500hp and will both be traction limited. It’s really a driver’s race. If either one of them gets caught napping, misses or is slow on the up-shift its game over. :shrug:

Just from what I've seen, a lot of Termis are more bark than bite. They might dyno 600rwhp and still only run 11s, where there seem to be a lot of Foxes with 200 less HP running 10s. I'm not saying there AREN'T fast Terminators out there, just a lot of dyno queens.

A Terminator with a Whipple is one big beast. It's all about traction though. My car is a beast on the street making 591RWHP, but at the track it can only muster low 12's but at 125MPH with a 2.3 or 2.3 60ft. IRS and Nitto's slow me down. My friend has an 03 Eaton car with 525RWHP running 10.50's at 129MPH. He's got a SRA and slicks. Big difference.