Who would win? At the track?

tjmaxx

Jun 21, 2004
Ok my buddy has a 89 Mustang GT. It isnt on the road yet he needs to get license plates for it. As far as we know the only mod it has is Flowmasters which he added, and a custom pvc pipe intake which he didnt add. He also has some Ford racing spark plug wires to go on it. He has street tires. The car is a 5spd with 102k on it. I drove it once before he put the Flowmasters on it, it had dumps at the time. It seemed pretty quick but I didnt have my Mustang at the time so I cant compare them.

I have a 1996 Mustang GT 5spd. with 116k miles in it but still runs nice. It has street tires with 4.10's, King Cobra clutch, Steeda short throw shifter, 2 1/2 inch X-pipe, 2 1/2 catback, with 3 1/2 inch SS tips, summit spark plug wires, Fenderwall intake, lowered 2 inches. That is basically it for performance mods.

I think I will be able to take him in the 1/4 but not sure:shrug: He seems to think his car will smoke me:shrug: Either way I dont really care because I dont care for racing too much, mostly car shows and cruising but dont mind showing some cars whats up at the street lights every once in a while.

I love 5.0's so im not bashing them or anything but I think I will win. What do you guys think will happen? The only car I have ever raced was a Honda Civic hatchback with some ricer mods but that was only till like 20mph and spun alot but still had like 5 cars on him:shrug: My car is all about 0-60 because of the 4.10's and King Cobra clutch, it pulls pretty awsome:nice:

• Sponsors (?)

BurningRubber said:
Joo for teh win.

He has the heaviest of Fox Body's, and with your mods you should take him without too much trouble.

Thanks for the reply. Thats what I was thinking. When I first got my Mustang I thought about adding mods to make it faster but now I would much rather get it repainted.

CanadaStang said:
Stock against stock your cars are about an even match but with your 4.10's you should beat him.
Even though his car has larger displacement you have 4.10's so,
you should edge him out.You never know your friend could have
any mods on his 5.0 watch out seriously if you race your friend
he could have a bottle in the trunk lol.

Pennywise2 said:
You never know your friend could have
any mods on his 5.0 watch out seriously if you race your friend
he could have a bottle in the trunk lol.

Haha, seriously.

If his car really is stock I wouldnt worry about it too much if you are a good driver.

...but...

I drove a 93 GT with longtubes and midpipe/catback, and 4.10's... holy crap that thing would pull. Those were the only performance mods to the car but it hauled ass.

BurningRubber said:
Haha, seriously.

If his car really is stock I wouldnt worry about it too much if you are a good driver.

...but...

I drove a 93 GT with longtubes and midpipe/catback, and 4.10's... holy crap that thing would pull. Those were the only performance mods to the car but it hauled ass.
My last car was a H/C/I 92 GT coupe with a 75 shot of Nitrous Express
and you would never have known I had nitrous because it was hidden.
I loved that car too bad I sold it! :nice:

I know he doesnt have a bottle. We are good friends and I have looked his car over many times. If he has a bottle we dont know where it is:D The only thing he might have done that we dont know about is different gears.

tjmaxx said:
I know he doesnt have a bottle. We are good friends and I have looked his car over many times. If he has a bottle we dont know where it is:D The only thing he might have done that we dont know about is different gears.
The quickest way to tell if he has gears is to find out what the rpm's are at 60mph. My 91' LX is turning at 1450rpm at 60mph with the stock 2.73's.

In the 1/4 mile my 91' with the 2.73's [which is lighter than the GT] was consistantly 1/2 car ahead of my 98' [with 3.27's] when they were both stock. In other words, if you both have gears it'll be close with him having the edge, if he still has the stock gearing, you'll win.

BurningRubber said:
Joo for teh win.

He has the heaviest of Fox Body's, and with your mods you should take him without too much trouble.

i dont think he mentioned if it was a convertable, hatch or coupe...

I think if the car is a gt hatch he could give you a run for your money. Those things weigh close to nothing which is exactly why you see so many hopped up for drag racing.

Im biased though cause I :hail2: 5.0's The only car you can invest 2000 in and be running 12's

deftsound said:
i dont think he mentioned if it was a convertable, hatch or coupe...

I think if the car is a gt hatch he could give you a run for your money. Those things weigh close to nothing which is exactly why you see so many hopped up for drag racing.

Im biased though cause I :hail2: 5.0's The only car you can invest 2000 in and be running 12's

If I remember correctly the GT hatchback weights in at about 3200lbs. My LX coupe is 3033lbs with 1/4 tank of fuel :shrug:
I have to agree with you about liking the 5.0's, I've always liked them and have had 3 of them over the years, just couldn't part with the old LX so I stillhave it. My first 5.0 was an 89' LX hatchback, that I bought dirt cheap and planned on reselling it and making some money. Once I started driving it, I didn't want to sell it, so I kept it for years.

Its a GT hatchback. I knew the old owner and he said if you pull up next to a stock 5.0 you could win but not a modded one:shrug: I dont know what he meant by that but I think it has gears, but I could be wrong. I just cant wait to find out the outcome.

CanadaStang said:
If I remember correctly the GT hatchback weights in at about 3200lbs. My LX coupe is 3033lbs with 1/4 tank of fuel :shrug:
I have to agree with you about liking the 5.0's, I've always liked them and have had 3 of them over the years, just couldn't part with the old LX so I stillhave it. My first 5.0 was an 89' LX hatchback, that I bought dirt cheap and planned on reselling it and making some money. Once I started driving it, I didn't want to sell it, so I kept it for years.

your right the lx's weigh less but they didnt have as much power, the gt's came with 230 from 87-91 i believe while the lx's had around 190 or 200

deftsound said:
your right the lx's weigh less but they didnt have as much power, the gt's came with 230 from 87-91 i believe while the lx's had around 190 or 200

No they had the same amount of power. The only difference was looks I believe.

deftsound said:

Naw, they were all rated at 225 and then recalculated to 205 in 1993, except for the Cobra which was rated at 235. GT and LX had the same engine.