Why 302 Heads?

• Sponsors (?)

If I recall correctly, they both have a 4.00" bore. The 289 has a 2.870” stroke, where the 302 has a 3.00" stroke. 302 heads should fit, as should 351 W heads with the right head bolts. I think 68 had a lot of engine choices. If original, they could have used up the blocks with the newer heads. Or someone replaced the heads. Or the whole engine has been replaced by now. A dowel through a spark plug hole and slowly turning over the engine to DTC through BDC and measuring the stroke length might be accurate enough to tell which displacement it really is.

I have a 1968 Cougar, and kinda confused. It says its a C-code 289, but there is a 302 stamp on the heads. Is it a 289 with 302 heads or what? If it helps it is a 3 speed auto
Look in between the valves ,does it by any chance have a 4V cast into the head ,its a good upgrade for a 289 ,they were only one year 68 only and were in Cougars and Mustangs ,and Shelbys . 302 heads will bolt on the 289 block but depending on the head they could be lower compression

1968 is a change over year. All C-code cars got 289’s and I’ve had 3. All three had 289 blocks and 302 heads from the factory. Nothing different, all the heads of that type are pretty bad compared to modern aluminum heads. Also, I wouldn’t waste the time or money for 351 heads when you could have good head for a bit more.

Now this is not pointed at anyone, just a point of view from an old guy
The 351 head swap has been done before with great success and cheap too, you can score aluminium heads used more so now a days so if there is a plan and a low budget shop around, but I want to know what @KillaViper is planning for this stray cat.

I was not suggesting the 351 swap should be done, but was providing it could be done as an example of the heads not matching the block numbers. As Zookeeper said it was a switchover year. That is what I meant by them using up the parts they had on hand at the factory.

Reactions: 1 user
I was not suggesting the 351 swap should be done, but was providing it could be done as an example of the heads not matching the block numbers. As Zookeeper said it was a switchover year. That is what I meant by them using up the parts they had on hand at the factory.
I understand and agree, I've found cougars and mustangs built in early 68 that had one 289 and one 302 head :eek:

• Informative
Now this is not pointed at anyone, just a point of view from an old guy
The 351 head swap has been done before with great success and cheap too, you can score aluminium heads used more so now a days so if there is a plan and a low budget shop around, but I want to know what @KillaViper is planning for this stray cat.
Just going for a mild build I've already got shorty headers and a 4 barrel 600cfm carb but I don't think I will change heads

1968 is a change over year. All C-code cars got 289’s and I’ve had 3. All three had 289 blocks and 302 heads from the factory. Nothing different, all the heads of that type are pretty bad compared to modern aluminum heads. Also, I wouldn’t waste the time or money for 351 heads when you could have good head for a bit more.
I've heard that a lot I think that's what this is