Why called modular motors?

• Sponsors (?)

I THINK I can answer this...

Are you familiar with idea of "VTEC" done by honda? (Called several other names by other companies with similar design) The idea is based on the principle that an engine can pull more power at higher RPM's by advancing the timing (I believe it's advancing at higher RPMs), but by doing so, you'll lose a little bit of your bottom end. The same goes for reversing the situation. So Mercedes originally designed "Timing Control" (not the proper name, I know) to where the engine would automatically advance/retard the timing as needed by the motor to pull the very most from the engine. They never perfected it, and scrapped the project. Honda adapted it and made it work. Over the years, several companies made their own design (Nissan, Subaru, Chrysler, Ferrari (and might I add that Ferrari's is the MOST complex EVER), and eventually Ford)

If I'm not mistaken, only recently (being like...2005, I wanna say) did ford start putting their idea into their market of cars. This also helped them to claim back a little bit of the fuel efficiency for V8 motors.

Thus...the new design is a "modular" design, hence the odd crank pulley and 3valve system.

There you have it. We drive a "Modular" engine.

Please, feel free to correct me if someone proves me wrong...

Through the years, many

Wow...where did you pull that piece of fiction from? :scratch:

Wow...where did you pull that piece of fiction from? :scratch:

I also once wrote a story about nevernever land, but I never patented it, so the credit was stolen...

I don't recall where I read it, but I want to say I actually read it in a magazine? May have been online. Who knows, it was like 6 or 7months ago that I read it. If it's totally inaccurate, I probably read it online on some bs website like "riceiswhatidrive.com" or something. :shrug:

I fixed my post, though!

I don't know whether this was in that write up which I skimmed through, but another thing which defines a modular engine is the lack of accessory drive brackets. Alternators and PS pumps, etc are bolted right to the engine.

Man, I wish they were all that easy. :rlaugh:

I'm not your typical mustang/BMW-Mercedes owner/ricer. If I'm wrong, or can't back my statements, I'll admit it and step down until I can. I'm in this game for love of the game. Not to prove my nuts are bigger than anyone else's. I'd prefer to learn than argue myself into a win.

...but if I find that article...game on.

Well, that's because my nutts are the biggest:rolleyes:

And sorry about above, I went into a smilies coma, hehe.

Hey, just because you're the founder of this place and you can ban me...doesn't mean your nuts are bigger. I just can't PROVE it because I don't wanna get banned. But one day when I do...it's on.

I'm actually running around San Diego trying to rally up some stangs and bring members to the site. If for no other reason, I'm trying to start a local mustang "club." Not so much a club, but rather people owning mustangs that are interested in going on cruises, meets, trackdays, etc together. And HOPEFULLY for the "mile of mustangs" cruise in April. You actually just reminded me I wanted to post some snapshots I got on base, today... (coming soon to the "talk" section)

Hey, just because you're the founder of this place and you can ban me...doesn't mean your nuts are bigger. I just can't PROVE it because I don't wanna get banned. But one day when I do...it's on.

Ban you.....:rlaugh:.....if we let Founding Members have that kind of power around here, there would be no newbs at all in this place. :D

The only only ones you need to worry about taking any kind of action against you are Admins, Supermods (like myself) and Regular Mods. Just remember...its the ones with their username in bold blue, or black lettering that you need to watch your P's and Q's around.

...and besides, last time we checked, we weren't casting anyone out for having an alternate opinion, so rest easy....you're safe. :)

I'd hope so. Not to pull the whole "I've been on other forums for years" but check out "ImportAtlanta.com" Oh, man, the battles we'd have on there with differences in opinions were ridiculous. But, sometimes it was the underdog that was right. This forums seems to be as close to me "hometown forum" as I'll find. I hope to enjoy it. :)

But...why the hell does the founder NOT have ban-ability? That's kinda strange...

But...why the hell does the founder NOT have ban-ability? That's kinda strange...

Having the "Founding Member" status only means that you've been a member of the site since the beginning, and/or joined at some point throughout the first couple of years of its creation. We have literally thousands, of members who've earned the status simply by joining up all those years ago. Other than hanging out here when they should have been doing something productive with their lives, Founding Members had nothing to do with the sites creation or its daily operations as you might think the term implies. I ought to know...I was considered a Founding Member once upon a time myself. :D