Fox Why did FORD use such lower sized gears in rear IMO

It was a huge diff when I went 2.73 to 3.73.

Now 3.27 to 3.73? You’ll feel it but is it worth $700? I can’t answer that.

Or maybe I can since I’m going 3.73 to 3.27...but I’m doing the work myself
Are you still running a T5? If so, I think you should consider leaving the gears and upgrading the trans. A T5 has a 5th of .675:1. A Cobra T56 has a .63:1 6th gear. This would be the equivalent of going from a 3.73 to a 3.48 without giving up any low end. A GM-geared T56 has a .5:1 6th gear. That'd be like having stock 2.73s on the highway.

• Sponsors (?)

Are you still running a T5? If so, I think you should consider leaving the gears and upgrading the trans. A T5 has a 5th of .675:1. A Cobra T56 has a .63:1 6th gear. This would be the equivalent of going from a 3.73 to a 3.48 without giving up any low end. A GM-geared T56 has a .5:1 6th gear. That'd be like having stock 2.73s on the highway.

It’s something to consider. Not sure my t5 will hold up to my next round of mods and I’d love a t-56

Reactions: 1 user
My vert has 306 with GT40 heads and 4.11 rear with AOD. Honestly, its still feels like a slug on acceleration. I think it's the AOD. AOD is a huge power robber! Only one way to get beyoond it and that's tons of power. But then the weak links in the AOD give way. If I ever built an automatic trans Foxbody for real performance, I'd have to shell out $$$ for a 4r70w set up right. If it were a track car primarily, C4.

I may know such installer in Millersville MD. Shall I get a quote for you? Just to be clear, you would supply all parts and fluid and he does labor only, correct?

You mean higher ratio gears. That's for CAFE standards (fuel mileage). I went from 3.27's to 2.73's. I gained something like 4-5 MPG, and about 400 revs less at 60 MPH. I paid $40 for the 2.73's on ebay, and all I had to buy other than that is a crush is some diff oil.

This was on my P71, not a Mustang, but still an 8.8". Unless you are talking about a 7.5". Tried to find a set of 2.52's. Couldn't find one. $6-700? Nuts. Do it yourself.

My 82 RS 4 speed had 3.08's in a 7.5 until I blew the rear up. Installed a new T5 and grabbed an 8.8 with 3.55 from a 93 GT. Some days I'm lazy and roll off in second and shift to 4th with ease. No effort on a 5.0!

Reactions: 1 user
It’s something to consider. Not sure my t5 will hold up to my next round of mods and I’d love a t-56

It totally depends on how you treat it. My tuning dyno spit out 540-560 ft/lbs from my KB when it went onto the new motor. It has some upgrades but it's nothing like an Astro or [what's the other one, I forget]. This same T5 was what in the car (without upgrades) with my old motor and the KB.

I kept Cooper Cobras on it for all of it's street life and it's been to the track 3 times on DOT tires ( I managed mid-low 11s, smiled and went away ).

The T5 still lives. I would [love] to have an Astro or [G-Force] ( I remembered it :O_o: ) but something with a 6th gear is pretty enticing too. :drool:

Note:. I also run a full weight billet steel flywheel.

Of course, I'm only guessing donuts through the intersections and street racing through the city is not a thing for you. :D