Wierd high pitch noise

xtr3m3

Dec 20, 2006
Just wanted to see if anyone has the best answer for this,

When I drive my car, an the clutch is not engaged it has a spinning whining sound.. An when I push the clutch in half way it stops.. The clutch is new, the flywheel has been refaced, an brand new throw out bearing was put in.. I know the stock cable is garbage an needs to be adjusted "have to push the clutch to the floor to shift"

All I know is that its freaking annoying when im at the light, an its loud enough to be noticed, so I drive with the clutch down a bit before it engages so I dont have to hear it!!

So yea anyone who could help that would be great

Thanks

''The guy with all kinds of mustang problems" haha

• Sponsors (?)

I have same thing (I think?). While I'm cruising or sitting in neutral I have some whining coming out of something in the clutch assembly. When I put a little bit of pressure on the clutch pedal (not enough to disengage the clutch), the noise goes away... is this what you have, or the opposite? (sorry, your description confused me some..)

I got it when I got a new flywheel, clutch, tranny and driveshaft yolk (tranny locked up, took the rest with it... :nonono: ) I was told it was clutch chatter and it was normal especially with aftermarket clutches. Something in the throwout bearing? Annoying I know, but I was also told that its one of those things thats hit and miss (like brakes.. go fix one squeek, end up creating another..)

A lot of "I was told's" in that, mostly to save my ass if this is wrong :D If anyone could shed some light into this, or even supply a fix, that'd be great!

...Nothing takes away from the "meaness factor" like a silly squeak while your cruising or sitting at a light...

Yea the thing is, the clutch,flywheel an throw-out are all brand new.. You also mentioned a possible U-Joint?? I know when I take off or when im turning I hear a popping sound towards the motor area, underneath...... I hate projects haha

well.. i believe i had the same problem.. and yes.. i was holdin the clutch down at red lights to just so other people wouldnt be able to hear the whine... i once raced a guy in a wrx sti(got roasted) but he after asked me if it was supercharged cuse he heard the whinning sound.. does ur whine sound like a supercharger at all?? i actually had a few people ask me that question.. anyways... i took it to the car wash back couple months ago.. and all the sudden.. i lost 1st,2nd, and 3rd possibley others.. (to pissed of to try the rest) anyways.. took it to the repair shop.. turns out everything in the tranny was shot. everything else on the car was fine thoe, clutch was in real good shape along with the flywheel. the u-joints were good to. i did replace the through out bearing tho just cuse it was cheap and i was allready in there.. but the old one seemd pretty good regardless. After that tho she hasnt made that sound since. thats just my $$2,000 experience tho.

My tranny also whines like a supercharger, especially in 1st and 2nd gear. But its been like that since I got the car, and the previous owner who had the car for 8 years said it has always done it with him too. So I'm not too worried. If it blows it blows, and it'll be an excuse to look into something better like a T56.

The thing is lots of TOB's will make a squeak when there is no tension on them (if the cable has too much slack in it). And if you can't shift till the pedal is at the floor sounds like you have too much slack in the cable. I have never adjusted the stock stuff but you may want to look into that. Or you can get a firewall adjuster. Also, the stock cable does not suck...there much better quality than the aftermarket ones. Just some FYI.

yea this weekend coming up im going to check the clutch cable because I dont think its adjusted well, I mean my old mustang I could just feather in the clutch an shift "15 percent in" an it would shift, this one I have to push it half way before I can shift
I just want it to last without the squeak. This summer im going to throw in a Tremec TKO 500 or whatever they are, an get my blower an everything else, just want it to last tile I decide to soak more money into it....