Will a little too much oil hurt anything?

• Sponsors (?)

Just a little above full will be fine. If you went a quart over the full line, I might be concerned because the crank could be dropping into the oil each turn, flinging oil and putting extra loads on the rotating assembly.

Just a little above full will be fine. If you went a quart over the full line, I might be concerned because the crank could be dropping into the oil each turn, flinging oil and putting extra loads on the rotating assembly.

+1. Windage is also bad because it can overly froth the oil causing aeration and the attendant possibility of the oil pump pulling air pockets in as well as oil.

Having said that, a little extra won't hurt anything. In fact I'd rather have a 1/2-quart too much oil than 1/2-quart too little in these engines given what seems to happen with alarming regularity re spun bearings if the oil level is allowed to drop along with higher RPM operation.

Nice thing with these engines is, the crank doesn't dip into the oil pan.

There was an article or write up saying that the pan would hold somewhere around 9 quarts at full capacity and technically the crank wouldn't touch it. However, that doesn't account for the oil sloshing around and onto the crank.

But... +3 to what the other two said, haha. You could run 7qts and be fine.