Will a stock replacement clutch live on a stroker with street tires???

juiced_94gt

Mar 30, 2005
Southern California
When I was building my motor a builder around here that races at irwindale told me that I could put a stock clutch in the car as long as it's on street tires, he said that the car would break the tires loose before a clutch or tranny went south...Is this correct?? sounds logical.:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

When I was building my motor a builder around here that races at irwindale told me that I could put a stock clutch in the car as long as it's on street tires, he said that the car would break the tires loose before a clutch or tranny went south...Is this correct?? sounds logical.:shrug:

It depends on how you drive. I would have at least stepped up to a King Cobra or even better Ford Heavy Duty OEM replacements.

If you're launching at 5000 RPM at the track, you'll eat up OEM clutches in no time. If you're cruising around and taking it easy, you'll be fine.

Adam

cruising you wont have a problem, If you hammer it even rolling you might break the clutch loose some and cause wear.

But like previously post you should step it up. The clutch isnt something that you want to keep replacing. Its worth the money up front you will save alot of time , labor , and headaches

I have heard that the twin discs are just as hard...and can be noisy. A buddy had one in his G force t-5...but the trans was so loud (dog cut synchros) that it was hard to tell between clutch and trans noise.

:OT:Its not the synchros that are "dog cut" its the actual gears. Instead of a helical cut gear set with synchros, "dog box" transmissions have straight cut gears and don't have synchros at all.

With no synchros, you have to double clutch at EVERY down shift, which is pretty hard core, and not for a street car, IMO. They make good drag transmissions though for numerous reasons, but thats another topic.

Adam

Should be fine if you drive like an old lady....Personally when I put the stroker motors in my cars, I drive them...why dump all that coin and make power you won't use? I've taken brand new oem clutch discs out in 2 or 3 pieces w/ some spirited driving after 30 miles on basically stock 5.0's....If you going to spend the money on a motor at least back it up w/ a decent clutch that will hold some power. Then again if you get a clutch that holds too well, it ends up finding the other weak links in your drivetrain so just something to keep in mind....been down that road as well...I'd rather my clutch slip a little rather than destroy my trans etc...but not have something so weak I couldn't be able to drive it hard.

Generally Speaking :D

Yes ... I can go along with your builder friend :nice:

Street tires should break loose before the clutch does :)

Steep ratio will help take some of the load off the clutch as well ;)

NOW!

If you wanna do sticky tires or dump it from a standing start :eek:
or
Stuff similar to that :eek:

No ... the little OEM clutch will give up the ghost quickly :(

Like Adam says ... It depends!

Some folk can tear up BB's & Bowling Balls
with
Nothing but their bare hands :shrug:

Grady