Will console from 01+ fit 97 GT

stangtrooper97

Founding Member
Aug 30, 2002
King of Prussia
Well, it finally happened. I was driving into work and I had to make a quick stop. My coffee went flying all over the console and radio because of the darn crappy cupholder. I know that the 01 and up cars have nice large cupholders. Will a console from the 01 and up fit in my 97 GT? Any modifications needed? Thanks
Pete

• Sponsors (?)

stangtrooper97 said:
Well, it finally happened. I was driving into work and I had to make a quick stop. My coffee went flying all over the console and radio because of the darn crappy cupholder. I know that the 01 and up cars have nice large cupholders. Will a console from the 01 and up fit in my 97 GT? Any modifications needed? Thanks
Pete

well my buddy did it in is his car, but i'm not exactly sure if he had to modify it at all. i'll give him a call later & find out :nice:

asthmaticZeater said:
it should work no problem. but i think itd be better getting a 98 one (they have cupholders also instead of the ashtray) since i think the interior colors slightly changed in the 99+ cars.

No. My '98GT's cupholder & change holder/ash tray are as useless as t*ts on a bull. :nono:

Actually, I found a coffee mug that fit perfectly in my 98. Granted, it was only a 12oz mug, but it fit well in the forward holder, with the handle in the groove. Was low enough to clear the shifter (Tri-axe with Fatknob) and didn't move around. I think I got it from Target.

When I got the Mach, I had to find a different mug due to the change in the cup holder. Found another mug from Eddie Bauer that fits just as well. A little snug, so it won't flop around and spill...

To answer your first question- I believe the 98-99 will work much better as the wiring should all match up from the 97 (fog switch/vert top switch). Remember, 2001 placed the switches in the radio surround.

Yeah, I know the 98s have a different cup holder but my mug won't fit in one of those. As far as the switches being in a different place, I have a 248A, meaning no fog lights. I don't have any switches on my console, just two "coin holders". They don't hold anything other than dust. I'll go take a look at a friends car and see if it will work and various things. Junkyards should have consoles pretty cheap right? :nice:

stangtrooper97 said:
Yeah, I know the 98s have a different cup holder but my mug won't fit in one of those. As far as the switches being in a different place, I have a 248A, meaning no fog lights. I don't have any switches on my console, just two "coin holders". They don't hold anything other than dust. I'll go take a look at a friends car and see if it will work and various things. Junkyards should have consoles pretty cheap right? :nice:

ya, they have em cheap, thats usually one of the most common parts that you still see in a stripped car :banana:

well, I have a 96 GT and I took a console out of a 03 and it did not work. It's slightly shorter and does not sit flush on the driveshaft hump. It may work with modification, but I did not try it.