Will I break my transmission with these mods?

PDHSB

Jun 11, 2020
VA
Hello all, I recently purchased an 01 automatic GT and I like it so far. But it definitely needs more power.

I recently changed the valve cover gaskets, and I figured since I don't have anything better to do at the moment, I'd change the cam shafts as well. I'm looking at stage 3 XE270AH cams from Comp Cam. I'm of course going full bolt on as well. I have the stock 4 speed auto, and they reccomend a 2000rpm stall. Is there danger in running these cams with the stock trans? Or should I go ahead and install, upgrading the trans later?

I'm expecting to make 330Hp+

• Sponsors (?)

Probably no danger to the trans, although longevity at this point is as much related to the mileage of your trans and how it has been maintained for 19 years as to the 330ish hp you seek. Remember the torque converter recommendation is made as a best guess for best performance with your new camshafts. Nothing wrong with running your stock converter...you may find it less than optimal with the new cams (your rear end gear ratio will come in to play here as well). Enjoy,

Stock converter will work fine. Basically you loose the ability to rev up and launch hard (equivalent to dumping the clutch at xxxx RPM in a manual). So unless the goal is drag racing and lifting the front wheels off the ground, you do not need a higher stall converter.

My 90 GT is probably in the 330-350 hp range with stock converter and only a Lentech Valve Body added to an otherwise stock AOD trans. I will be adding a secondary trans cooler shortly.