will stock valve covers clear cobra 1.7 rockers?

• Sponsors (?)

Damn it gearbanger. You're a stangnet whore. You are over in the SN section, and you're posting here too. You don't have an SN or a Foxbody. What's the deal?

Kurt

I don't even own a Mustang anymore, but that still doesn't stop me from running the site. :D

The 5.0L section is where I started back in 2002 when I joined and still had my '87 5.0L LX. Previous to that I had 3-other Fox body Stangs, and had also owned and built both an '85 Ranger and an '86 Bronco II with 5.0L HO power trains I had build from scratch with my father....so I figure it still qualifies me to hang around the 5.0L sections here and there. ;)

Reactions: 1 user
I don't even own a Mustang anymore, but that still doesn't stop me from running the site. :D

The 5.0L section is where I started back in 2002 when I joined and still had my '87 5.0L LX. Previous to that I had 3-other Fox body Stangs, and had also owned and built both an '85 Ranger and an '86 Bronco II with 5.0L HO power trains I had build from scratch with my father....so I figure it still qualifies me to hang around the 5.0L sections here and there. ;)

I agree, that much experience qualifies anyone :nice:

did you have to remove just the baffle or did you have to grind the baffle mount webbing away also. i am only running a cobra cam so should be similar to your setup.
The rocker will clear the stock webbing if the baffle is removed, but as I stated before it’s in your best interest to replace it with another. The problem with removing it altogether is that the engine will pull enough vacuum under hard acceleration to draw oil through the breather, into the intake. The baffle prevents this.

Stock cam, Crane 1.7 RR's, stock valve cover, and no clearance problems. Oil baffle is as it was when it left the fastory.
If memory serves, your '95 uses the stamped steel valve covers (like the '93 Cobra) and not the cast aluminum ones like the '86-'93 5.0L HO's, correct? If so, that would likely explain the added clearance.

The rocker will clear the stock webbing if the baffle is removed, but as I stated before it’s in your best interest to replace it with another. The problem with removing it altogether is that the engine will pull enough vacuum under hard acceleration to draw oil through the breather, into the intake. The baffle prevents this.

ok so is there another type baffle around or do i need to fab this? thanks

ok so is there another type baffle around or do i need to fab this? thanks

I fabbed my own up out of a piece of sheet metal. Its not overly hard. Just make sure you leave room to clear the rockers, but also plenty for the oil to make its way through with little restriction. Build it with too low a profile and you'll find it backing up on you when trying to pour your oil in. Found that one out the hard way too. :D

If memory serves, your '95 uses the stamped steel valve covers (like the '93 Cobra) and not the cast aluminum ones like the '86-'93 5.0L HO's, correct? If so, that would likely explain the added clearance.

At or near full throttle, any NA engine will be at or near 0 "HG, so that would not be when the engine is sucking up oil because of vacuum

Posted via Mobile Device