Will this work? Converter Shuddering

Synned

took tubgirl on a date and got banned
Mar 31, 2005
Philly
Hey guys
Been a while. My torque converter and trans were replaced like a year and a half ago, and now my torque converter is starting to vibrate the whole car when I have a right amount of load on it. The shuddering will stop if I tap the break, and also I tried driving with the brake just slightly engaged and it never shuddered. Would it be possible to trick the converter into thinking brakes are engaged? I wouldn't mind having slightly higher RPMs. I would just jump the brakes, but my lights would be on all the time.

Would it work?

Joe

• Sponsors (?)

The brakes and torque converter aren't connected systems, so I'd be very surprised that the torque converter is the problem. Usually the brake rotors are warped if tapping the brakes solves the problem.

Does the steering wheel feel like it's shaking as well?

The brakes and torque converter aren't connected systems, so I'd be very surprised that the torque converter is the problem. Usually the brake rotors are warped if tapping the brakes solves the problem.

Does the steering wheel feel like it's shaking as well?

Na, I'm almost 100% positive it's the problem. I had this problem before, it's actually pretty common with the AOD-E Torque converters. When you tap the break, not engage it, just like 1/4" down so that the switch engages, the torque converter unlocks.

Na, I'm almost 100% positive it's the problem. I had this problem before, it's actually pretty common with the AOD-E Torque converters. When you tap the break, not engage it, just like 1/4" down so that the switch engages, the torque converter unlocks.

:nice: This could very well be it. I know on Super Duty trucks with a PSD, it's common to wire up a torque converter lock switch, to make it lock up when it normally wouldn't. I imagine you could do something to keep it from locking up, but I'm no where near qualified to know what you need to do. Good luck!

Scott

The above info is right. The BOO unlocks the converter, which is why the BOO test Joe did is a good one when testing for converter shudder.

The downside to having the converter unlocked at all times is that the trans gets hotter, mileage goes down, and the like.

Is the converter under warranty? Was Mercon V used?

As far as your actual question, we'll need Wes or Don to chime in on that. Bump for you.