Wilwood brakes

jaime007

May 17, 2006
I'm currently looking into switch out the drum brakes on my 67 mustang. I've been checking out the kit that willwood puts out and it looks pretty good. I was wondering if anyone has already done this. I would gladly take any advice on the switch and suggestions as far maybe a different kit that worked out for someone else. The kit is the 140-4304 and comes with the majority of the parts. I was wondering what other parts I'll need to finish off the conversion (i.e. master cylinders, porportioning valve and such). The kit instructions also say that some modifications has to be done prior to any disassembly is that just for stangs with disk brakes already where thier spindles have to be modified? Thanks for any help.

Jaime

• Sponsors (?)

reread the directions, and you will find that they are talking about mods for disc brake spindles only. and if you look at the brackets, you will see that they are designed to fit on spindles designed for drum brakes, like the 65-67 spindles are, or disc brakes, like the spindles from 68-73 are designed for. the disc brake spindles need the three indicated holes drilled out to a larger size and the tapped.

IMO Wilwood's basic kit is too much $$ for what it is.

I'd check out Scarebird mechanical (www.scarebird.com) They sell a sub-$350 front disc setup, you buy the brackets from him and get all the parts elsewhere. Rockauto.com has the best prices on the rest of the parts. Rockauto ships fast, and has great customer service, and they're cheap! :D

For the front disc kit:
uses mid 80s s10 4x4 calipers @11ea from rockauto

uses 68-69 Mustang rotors @38ea from rockauto

uses mid 80s Eldorado lines @ 14ea from rockauto

uses ford MC @ 20 from rockauto (74 Maverick manual disc/drum)

uses GM pads @ 15 from rockauto

uses the scarebird brackets @ $110

Bolt on, no hack converstion unlike the R&C RC132 kit, which is similar but needs hacking to fit. No change in track width.
HTH
--Kyle

I bought Wilwoods for the rear of my car and am quite happy with them. But I was under-impressed with the offerings for the fronts, that is true for Baer too. Basically they offer little advantage over the factory PDB setup and they aint exactly cheap. I went with Cobra (PBR) 13s up front instead since I was using 17X8 rims.

5.0ina66 said:
IMO Wilwood's basic kit is too much $$ for what it is.

I'd check out Scarebird mechanical (www.scarebird.com) They sell a sub-$350 front disc setup, you buy the brackets from him and get all the parts elsewhere. Rockauto.com has the best prices on the rest of the parts. Rockauto ships fast, and has great customer service, and they're cheap! :D

For the front disc kit:
uses mid 80s s10 4x4 calipers @11ea from rockauto

uses 68-69 Mustang rotors @38ea from rockauto

uses mid 80s Eldorado lines @ 14ea from rockauto

uses ford MC @ 20 from rockauto (74 Maverick manual disc/drum)

uses GM pads @ 15 from rockauto

uses the scarebird brackets @ $110

Bolt on, no hack converstion unlike the R&C RC132 kit, which is similar but needs hacking to fit. No change in track width.
HTH
--Kyle

Thank you for the endorsement. We also now offer aa version that will fit inside the stock 14 x 7 steel rims, though the 14 x 5-1/2 is giving us fits...