Wiring Heater 65 Question

Darrel

Jul 27, 2011
NEWBE HERE!!!! I am trying to rewire my 65 6cyl with a Ron Frances Retro Wire Kit. I am stuck at the heater. My harness has a brown wire marked heater, and the heater blower motor has two wires a orange one and a black one, and on the heater case I believe I have a resistor on the side of it.It has three prongs on top and one prong on bottom or below them . I am sure the pigtail on my heater controls plugs into the three prongs on the resitor , but where do all the other wires connect. Please can anyone help I am new to wiring learning as I go . Thanks:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

Darrel,

It sounds like you might have an early model heater blower switch. Let me ask you a few questions first. Is that original "orange" wire you have, might it be red? And the black wire, might it be black with a yellow stripe? The reason I ask is that Ford had the 2 speed and a three speed heater blower motor. In my 65 I6, I still have the 3 speed. Before I proceed to assist, I need those questions answered, then I will be able to explain better than guess. Basically though, starting with the blower motor one wires going to it either would of been yellow or red. The other wire going to the blower motor would of been either brown or black with a yellow stripe. Let me know what you come up with.

Switch

The blower motor is not the original it is a new aftermarket and the wires are orange and black. The heater selector and switch is still all original that came on the mustang. The old blower motor was shot so I bought a replacement, the old one went out in the trash years ago. Thanks

Darrel, okay, that's cool with the wiring and the aftermarket motor. Okay, after reading your first, I finally realized you have the 3 speed heater motor. (The dots are only for spacing, so the diagram will appear correct).

Heater motor ----black wire------fuse box
Heater motor ----orange wire to *single terminal

(below the "three" terminals on the resistor/heater case).
............... _T_
............. L | | R Is this the correct orientation/position of the resistor terminal?
................. _
.................. *single terminal

resistor top terminal-----------"med speed" switch position terminal
resistor left terminal------------"low speed" switch position terminal
resistor right terminal----------"high speed" switch position terminal

I think the wires behind and on the heater switch are soldered in. You make have to splice in to them or, un-solder them and solder your new wiring in. I'm pretty sure I have it right. I checked 3 times. Make sure you check your new wiring harness and directions and compare if this makes sense. (I'll be up for another hour, (22:38 here now GMT), to answer any other questions you might have. I'm sure you can't wait to get your new wiring installed and get back in the saddle.

Switch

Thanks For the info , I found some information on how to wire it online. You are correct. It seems to be two different ways to wire it depending on when your mustang was produced. One way is the hot wire from the fuse box goes to the switch and then to the motor and back to the resistor. In my case the hot goes to the motor and then out of the motor to the resistor . Where you helped me is i did not know what wire to connect to the hot. I was going to connect the hot from the fuse box to the orange wire then go from the black motor wire to the resistor . Thanks Very Much For The Help. Be watching cause I am going to post on how to connect the wiper switch next. I have a new single speed wiper washer switch with about 6 or 7 prongs and only one hot wire from the harness , this ought to be fun. Thanks Again:nice:

Darrel, glad I was able to help. I know I'm going to get stuck on something and this is a good forum to find answers. I have a two speed switch. I'm eventually going to install the easy to attach/no modification variable wiper switch in that are now available for Mustangs. I think they go for about $75 bucks. But once its in...done. No more turning on/off the switch when there is a light drizzle outside. I'll keep and eye out for your postings.