Wiring questions about putting a 5.0 in my '65 convertible

I have a 90 5.0/ 5 speed with the fuel injection, ECU, and all that I want to put in my '65 convertible. I know some of you have done this, so here is my question; Is it better (ease and price) to use the factory wiring harness out of a donor car or should one get a kit specifically for this. Do they make one? I want everyone's opinion

• Sponsors (?)

How comfortable are you with reading wiring diagrams and splicing into wiring? If you're fairly comfortable and knowledgable about automotive wiring, you can save ~$400 or so over buying a harness. The wiring was definately the most difficult task, but you don't have to be an electrical engineer to do it. Its just time consuming to follow each circuit, reroute it where you want it, and get it all working right in the end. This link is a great resource that explains the wiring mods necessary. You have to join their website to see the whole article, but its worth it.

I have just finished a 66 fastback with efi. Buy the ford streetrod harness, it is just a stock mustang harness, but it is new and comes with a killer install book that tells you stepby step how to and what to hook up. no looking at diagrams or anything. Very easy to install with basic automotive wiring knowledge. the ford harness is like 200 cheaper than the rest of the kits and you do not have to replace any of your current wiring if you don't want to. Hope this helps

junkyard wiring means junkyard reliability. i happen to be an eletrical engineer and even i wasnt up to re-connect the chopped-up harness that came with my 5.0 junkyard engine. its better to get new wires and not worry about faulty connections. id go with a painless wiring harness. plus, most aftermarket harnesses are clearly labeled with bright colors and good connectors

if you think wiring up an engine is hard, imagine how hard its going to be to diagnose the problem when one of those connections goes bad and causes problems