would you leave in AC system

pwcracer

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2000
Hastings, MN, USA
My car is a 94 convert and I am in the process of pulling the engine. I have been working around all the stupid a/c lines for the past 3 years, and the funny thing is, it isn't even filled with freon. I am really thinking about removing it.. It's a convert so if its ever hot out I will have the top down any way. I guess I am just tossing the idea out here..

• Sponsors (?)

I took mine out early last year. There are usually a couple of days a year that I kind of wish I still had it in the car, but overall I have no regrets.

How long have you gone without any refigerant in the system? I went for a year like that, then I figured I might as well just rip it all out since I wasn't using it anyway.

I'm in the humid state of South Carolina....the charleston part that's right by the water.

I can tell you....that I'm missing my AC and need to find another high-pressure line as soon as I can.

In the north, it'd prolly be cool to dump it

in the south...well...There's better ways to commit suicide

Its been without freon for 2 years now and the only time I miss it, is when the windshield fogs up when it rains or something. I usually never drive it in the rain, but it still happens. I can then usually run the defrost with warm air and be ok. I actually removed the A/C stuff tonight. I am going to save all the stuff in case I change my mind, but I have lived this long without it :)

Yeah, keep in mind that your defrost will no longer work. But that's what dry board erasers are for. :D

It really depends on how much you drive it. If I had a vert, I would probably do it now. But I am going to wait until I install the new engine to take it all off, if I do. It's really humid here in NC, too.

I'm in the humid state of South Carolina....the charleston part that's right by the water.

I can tell you....that I'm missing my AC and need to find another high-pressure line as soon as I can.

In the north, it'd prolly be cool to dump it

in the south...well...There's better ways to commit suicide

What'd you do to your high pressure line? Did you wax it installing the S-trim? :)

The a/c line is the most PITA part of the install ask me how I know lol.

Wes

haha, I got it right while I was installing the s-trim...

I was hiding some wires and tried to move the line out the way a wee bit more so I could get some more clearance for something....and the next thing I heard was "psssshhh"

then I cursed....

and started to cry because the very next day was HOT AND HUMID...bah

actually, after a while you get used to it.

did you fux your HP line too?

I have thought about it many times, but with my son (2 1/2) I need A/C on some of the really nasty days... acually I am hoping the new radiator lets me use it on these days since right now on the nasty days I ahve to take my truck for the A/C...

did you fux your HP line too?

I think mine is on the verge of being there. I've had to wiggle it around so much to clear the blower tensioner, that line cannot take much more.

Luckily my system is discharged (blown compressor front seal) so it's as good a time as any to screw something up. :)

I may see about removing the line so that I can get a tubing bender on it - my bender won't fit with the line on the car. I need to get around to making the a/c work - it's been discharged for so long I'll have to replace about everything - just never high on the fun list since it is neither a go fast part nor a quick fix haha.

This week has been crazy busy and I haven't had a chance to get back on the '95 - all I've got left is dealing with the a/c line, putting the belts and s/c tensioner on and starting it up to see if those ghetto oil fittings from Vortech leak. :)

Wes

Originally Posted by Stanger007
What'd you do to your high pressure line? Did you wax it installing the S-trim? :)

That is what led to me taking mine off. I pretty much killed it trying to bend that line the way it needed to be.
I ran around for half a year telling myself I was going to fix it. I decided it was a lot easier and cheaper to pull it all off than try and fix it. Plus it makes the engine bay a little cleaner.