Wow i think i funked my car up

nizzo

Dec 23, 2008
installed my new midpipes today, took forever and ever lol

My car ticks now, passenger side. Thinking about it, that tick has always been there, like if i was driving and there was a fence on the side of the road i could hear the sound bouncing off the fence and the tick was there. But now with this new exhaust the tick is way louder, its the same tick just loud as fek its not present at idle, but anything over 1500-2000 rpms it ticks (ticks faster with higher rpms of course)

My girlfriend has a v6 mustang and it does the same thing always has, just quiet like mine used to be.

I am considering taking it to an exhaust shop to have them make sure all the connects are good but it doesnt really feel like thats a problem to be honest.

BTW car sounds f-n awesome with mac catless xpipe and flowmaster 40s, maybe even too loud lol

• Sponsors (?)

They do sound good without cats don't they. I'm running a Mac off-road h pipe and Borlas and my car will set off other cars alarms when I idle by in a parking lot. When I bought my car it had a tick also, drove me crazy for six months. Turned out to be a pinhole in the welds on the BBK shorties that were on it when I bought it. Didn't find it until I replaced them with a set of Mac full length.

Hi,

Seems to be a common stang trait, get used to it :rolleyes:

I noticed and increase in the ticking when I had my full 2 1/2 inch Bassani X pipe system fitted. It is louder when the engine is cold though and I can't really hear it when it's warm.

You could have the sticky valve issue.

good luck! :nice:

Yea, its sounds like you have a pretty bad exhaust leak. It could be as bad as a hole in the welding, or as simple as a loose bolt that isnt in all the way. I had the problem on my car, and all I did was tighten the exhaust manifold down, and re-check all the connections (headers to mid-pipe, mid-pipe to cat-back etc. etc).

Anyways, from what I understand, Ford is pretty nortorious for having exhaust leaks

Hi,

Seems to be a common stang trait, get used to it :rolleyes:

I noticed and increase in the ticking when I had my full 2 1/2 inch Bassani X pipe system fitted. It is louder when the engine is cold though and I can't really hear it when it's warm.

You could have the sticky valve issue.

good luck! :nice:

it was about 40 degrees outside and i live in florida so it was weather i am not used to having, perhaps that is what part of the issue was.

i will take it to an exhaust shop and have them tighten everything down, those effers better not charge me more than an hour of labor :mad:

wow so

none of the car shops in the area will take a look at it without converters on it, they said they can get fined

i can smell the leak now when i get in the car, looks like i have a few hours under the car today tightening bolts ahead of me

Where in Florida do you live? I know of a shop local to me that will do it for you.

tampa bay area, i know what happened now

we should have re used the header bolts but we grabbed the wrong ones and used em, the bolts arent tightening they are just stripping out the threads because they are just barely too big, not too big to where they wont tighten down, but to big where they cant get a good thread grip and ruin themselves, i will be redoing the whole system today

My 04 gt ahd that tick sound ever since I bought it but could only tell when running close to the bank or a wall. When I installed my offroad x-pipe I found out there was no gasket on the passenger side exhaust flange that was causing the exhaust leak. Purchased the $21.50 gasket and all is well now.

I also would suggest replacing the gasket on the passenger side between the exhaust manifold and midpipe.

Mine busted during the swap, and it sounded like the engine was on its way out.

Get a new gasket for your header to midpipe connection. PUSH UP HARD on your pass side midpipe then crank the bolts down. Should solve your problem.

it is a new gasket and those bolts are as tight as i can get them, i think im just being paranoid about the sound, A buddy of mine rode in the car with me todat and told me it sounded normal, like it always has (the ticking has always been there)

im still going to try to find a shop that will look at it for me just to be sure

another thing you can do is jack the car up and have a buddy shove some rags in the tailpipes and hold them there. This will not only mufflle the exhaust, but force it out anywhere that is leaking. Get under the car while the rags are in there and have somebody else give it a little throttle, or put a throttle stop on. While under there you can here distint ticking from any leaks.

I bought a prochamber for my 01 GT I had, the gasket Mac gave me lasted for 2 days before it blew out. I bought a factory Ford gasket and had a shop put it in and my tick went away. The car always had a slight tick though before and after the prochamber.

I bought a prochamber for my 01 GT I had, the gasket Mac gave me lasted for 2 days before it blew out. I bought a factory Ford gasket and had a shop put it in and my tick went away. The car always had a slight tick though before and after the prochamber.

yeah at this point im loking for a shop that will just redo the install for me, charge me a few hours labor and probably for a new gasket,

the exhaust sounds a bit shaky, like its rattling, i found the ticking is worse in third fourth and fifth, barely present if at all in first and second