X pipe hanging too low

Guz

Jul 15, 2009
Winter Garden, FL
After having my automatic trans rebuilt I noticed that the x pipe was hanging too low. I took the car to two muffler shops and both places told me that the trans mount is bad causing the engine to be at an angle. Does this makes sense to any of you?

• Sponsors (?)

Seems almost as likely that the motor mounts are bad as well. What usually happens is the motor mounts fail. This causes the transmission mount to fail as well.

The post does not state the model year of the car. But the mounts will be between 14 and 6 years old. Remember that "sprited" driving will also but additional strain on the mounts. Other things like oil leaks and such can also shorten their life.

Another angle: I doubt the motor mounts are causing the X-pipe to be hanging low.

Get under the car. Support the X-pipe where it is using a floor jack or blocks of wood. Loosen the four bolts (two each side) at the "ball-joints" that connect the X to the catback. When they are loose, raise the X-pipe to a level position and re-tighten those ball-joint bolts.

You may indeed have bad mounts but the low-hanging X is likely that way from an improper installation after the trans was put back in.

When the car was on the lift the guy supported the trans, lowered the lift a little bit and the whole thing trans and piping moved up. At first I thought the x pipe wasn't installed right but after seeing that now I'm in doubt. By the way is an 04 Gt

The X-pipe is connected to the manifolds so of course, if the engine/trans is tilted "upwards" the X pipe will follow. However, if the trans is sitting on its mount, the X-pipe can be tilted by loosening the cat-back joints.

Like I said, you may need mounts but I doubt that's the only reason the X is low.

Another angle: I doubt the motor mounts are causing the X-pipe to be hanging low.

Get under the car. Support the X-pipe where it is using a floor jack or blocks of wood. Loosen the four bolts (two each side) at the "ball-joints" that connect the X to the catback. When they are loose, raise the X-pipe to a level position and re-tighten those ball-joint bolts.

You may indeed have bad mounts but the low-hanging X is likely that way from an improper installation after the trans was put back in.

AGREED! :nice:

The X-pipe is connected to the manifolds so of course, if the engine/trans is tilted "upwards" the X pipe will follow. However, if the trans is sitting on its mount, the X-pipe can be tilted by loosening the cat-back joints.

Like I said, you may need mounts but I doubt that's the only reason the X is low.

Well dude you were right on the money. The trans mount was bad alright and the x pipe wasn't installed correctly.