x pipe install

Hey guys, Im thinking about finally putting my x pipe on my mustang this weekend but I have a few questions. I have a UPR catless x pipe. My car still has the original smog pump on it that goes into the factory h pipe. The new x pipe does not have anywhere for the smog pump to go into so is it alright If I just leave it disconnected or is that going to make the car run ****ty? I was told not to crimp the metal tube that comes from the smog pump as this will make the car run ****ty as well. I was thinking about getting a smog pump delete from UPR since it's only like $50 and getting some new 2.5" flow tubes since the ones that are on my car now had to be flared on the end just to be big enough to fit inside of my flowmaster's. Anyway's is this combo all that I need and am I getting myself into a major project? Is any of this going to make my car run ****ty? I'm assuming the the check engine light will come on since there will be no cats but what about the smog pump? Will my computer need to be retuned? Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Yep, I'd remove & bypass the smog pump. It's useless. Our delete kit is nice if you want to use the original belt.

If you start removing the entire smog / egr system, you'll end up plugging the back of the heads, and a few other pipes & lines. It's not complicated, but it's hard to explain online.

Is there a local shop that could do it for you, or explain the process?

Is the delete kit just the bracket and pulley? How hard is it to put on and is the smog pump going to be a bitch to remove/get to since the radiator and basically everything's in the way? I could probably follow all of the hoses and plug them myself but I don't know about the Egr part????

You don't need the delete kit...just another part to potentially fail one day and leave you stranded on the side of the road. The point of a delete is to, well, delete.

You just need a shorter belt and reroute it.

39103d1201869097-5-0-belt-path-crank-pully-alt-water-pump-smog-tensoner-5.0belts.jpg

Attachments

• 39103d1201869097-5-0-belt-path-crank-pully-alt-water-pump-smog-tensoner-5.0belts.jpg
    39103d1201869097-5-0-belt-path-crank-pully-alt-water-pump-smog-tensoner-5.0belts.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 48
EGR has nothing to do with the smog pump at all. Completely different system. Don't delete the EGR, you'll gain nothing, and lose some part throttle fuel economy. EGR is a completely misunderstood system.

Deleting the smog stuff is easy. You can either remove the pipe from the back of the heads and install 5/8-11 threaded plugs, or leave the pipe, and cap the rubber hose near the passenger side head rear. Everything else is coming out. You'l also need to cap 2 vacuum lines. You'll see it all once you start.

Well, no pics right now that I can find, but it's the 2 small vacuum lines that connect to the diverter valve and the bypass valve....the two valves installed on the rubber 1" hose coming off the smog pump.

If oyu look down at it, you'll see them. They are frequently broken anyway becase they are hard plastic and not rubber.

Thanks a lot for the belt diagram! That's all I needed to see. YEah im sure once I start disconnecting the smog pump I can find everything that needs plugged and capped and whatnot just follow all of the hoses and I should be good. Thanks!