Engine Yet another explorer intake valve cover question

Justin87

5 Year Member
Aug 7, 2017
Hello all,

I am looking for some information for my 306 with 1.6 stud mount roller rockers. I am planning on using an explorer intake and I realize I also need "taller" valve covers which means their will be clearance issues.

1. Will a 3/8" spacer give me the clearance i need and still fit under the stock hood? It seems like it's been asked a million times but I have seen conflicting answers around the internet so I thought I'd ask it again.

2. Please give me your valve cover suggestions both for style and function.

euO3uPf.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Stock valve covers here as well. I just partially removed the baffle, because i was reading of people getting increased oil through the intake from the removed baffle. It seems to have worked.

I've been using stock valve covers with baffles removed and 7/16" stud mount rockers for years.
I haven't experienced any clearance issues with this set-up.

If you don't mind my asking, what are you running for heads?

I am running a set of trick flow twisted wedge, and I always thought with after market heads, the push-rod guide plates, and stud mounts rocker arms the stock covers would be to short causing clearance issues. Being able to just remove the battle and paint mine would be super nice.

I am running a set of trick flow twisted wedge, and I always thought with after market heads, the push-rod guide plates, and stud mounts rocker arms the stock covers would be to short causing clearance issues. Being able to just remove the battle and paint mine would be super nice.
RHS 200 heads, guide plates and 7/16" stud mount rollers.
I removed the baffles as well as ground down the mounting tabs, ran these like this on a couple of different sets of aftermarket heads.

I know this wasn't directed at me, but I'm also running the twisted wedge 170cc heads. I also used a spectre gasket that gives a little extra room over a cork or other flatter gasket.

I have AFR heads, 3/8 stud Scorpion Endurance rockers, Ford Racing valve covers, and a Cobra intake. I had to slot the bolt holes on the throttle cable bracket to be able to raise it about 1/4" to clear the valve covers, but everything else cleared just fine.