Yet another newbie.

townethug

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
May 17, 2004
Ok so let me get this straight, if i want to have long tube headers i have to buy a specail shorty o/r h pipe to fit, then i can put my cat back system on from there? I need to be able to put my stock h pipe on when emissions comes around. So i am guessing that it would not fit meaning i would have to take the headers off too and but the stosk ones back on. Would i be better off going with a shorty header. I know they dont give as much power but is it really a big difference? Or should i get a shorty h pipe with cats, what kind of power difference from lt's with cats vs shorties with out? Why are people saying that the lt's are so hard to install? Really just trying to figure this thing out from the people that know best.

• Sponsors (?)

Depending on what you are doing with the car will be the key. It sounds like you use it mostly for street use with worrying about emmissions and things. In my opinion I would just get some shorties with an O/R x pipe. Then when you have to go to emmissions put you stock h-pipe back on. That is if you have head work done to your car. If not stick with the stock headers and x-pipe and you will get more power.

I just figured that if i am going to under the car changing the x/h pipe and the cat back system that i might as well just do the headers. Plus its almost time for school to start back up so i am going to save my money during the winter and just put everything on all at once during the first few weeks of summer next year, Why do you suggest the x-pipe over the h pipe, i hear that the h sounds better.Do you know what the hp/ tq differences between them would be. Also if i do get the shorties would it be better to get the egual or unequal. I dont mind spending the money to have better proformance and sound but it does have to pass emissions once every two years i think it is. I am sure that i am going to have to change the headers eventually anyway so i might as well do it all at once.

I like the x-pipe because it made more HP than my h-pipe. I also like the sound better. It made 5 HP and 7 ft. lbs. over my 2 1/2" O/R h-pipe.
As far as the headers go I would wait until you get some head work done before spending your money. Unless you want to go slower.

I agree, dont buy headers until you have some more work done on the motor. HCI... The stock ones flow fine for the stock motor. Also I agree with the H or X of your choice with high flow cats. No sense in changing that stuff more than once IMO.

89sleeper said:
I like the x-pipe because it made more HP than my h-pipe. I also like the sound better. It made 5 HP and 7 ft. lbs. over my 2 1/2" O/R h-pipe.
As far as the headers go I would wait until you get some head work done before spending your money. Unless you want to go slower.

What's this slower business? I've never heard of not taking off the stock headers without getting new heads (or otherwise work done)... it helped me and my 5 other friends without any head work...

I've heard that 3" inch all the way back will give you less torque at the low end, but thos stock headers are constricting as pooh. Is it along the same principle as this?

I have seen tests on all the major header manufacturers stuff. They compared LT, shorties, and stock headers on a stock engine. They were all very close. There are minimal peak HP and TQ gains to be had, but they are really not worth the time and $ to install new headers. Although they look really ugly and pinched off, they do flow quite good. I have done no independant testing, this is just what my internet research turned up when I was considering a header purchase. Mine are still stock.

Well how much work should i have done before i consider headers? Because i am saving all summer long i figured on doing a bunch of things in the begining of next summer. The exhaust is just one of a few things. What else should i think about doing? I was thinking along the lines of a cold air intake, 65mm throttle body and depending on the money i have an upper and lower intake manifold. I know alot of people say gears but i am more intersted in making some power. Most of my driving with this car is on the street and i dont race it alot, but i do want to do some performance upgrades. Would the things above be enough to see a difference to swap out headers or still more?

I would say getting gears, depending on what you have out back now, will give you the best bang for the buck (read more accelerative feel). Way more than headers, cold air intake and throttle body combined. It doesn't "give" more power, it just makes it easier for the motor to move the car, so acceleration is faster. The downside is that the rpm range in which the car runs at a given mph will be higher, possible lower mileage, and slightly lower top speed. Getting an O/R pipe and better flowing pipes will add a lot to the driving experience...you can't beat the growl at low rpms and wail at WOT. It will make you feel like you are flying, trust you me lol.