YOM Registration (vintage plates)

tx65coupe

Nov 29, 1999
Hey,

Does anyone in Texas have their classic registered with year of manufacture license plates? I have a nice pair of 1965 TX plates for my Mustang. I'm curious to know how you go about registering it this way.

I have looked online and was unable to find much about it. The local tax assesors office website does not have any information about it. I have found a few forums discuss it like the corvette forum. I also found a website that sells vintage plates that talks about it.

About the Texas Year of Manufacture Law - TurnerPlates.com

Can I register it like this with out limiting how much I can drive it? I know someone that registered it this way and then went and got it inspected etc and drives it all the time. He has both the regular stickers on the windshield.

• Sponsors (?)

Hey,

Does anyone in Texas have their classic registered with year of manufacture license plates? I have a nice pair of 1965 TX plates for my Mustang. I'm curious to know how you go about registering it this way.

I have looked online and was unable to find much about it. The local tax assesors office website does not have any information about it. I have found a few forums discuss it like the corvette forum. I also found a website that sells vintage plates that talks about it.

About the Texas Year of Manufacture Law - TurnerPlates.com

Can I register it like this with out limiting how much I can drive it? I know someone that registered it this way and then went and got it inspected etc and drives it all the time. He has both the regular stickers on the windshield.

i was told that it is like registering the car with those antique vehicle plates, for limited use only. i also have a set of 69 plates for either my mustang or my cougar if i decide to use them on either one.

When I did the title transfer for my 67 last August, I also asked about the vintage plates. The DMV lady said that they need to run a check on the #s to make sure that its not currently in circulation and that the paint is in good/readable condition. Other than filling out the paperwork and paying a fee, you should be good to go.

Thanks for the input.

I am going to go over there today and see what they say. I just didn't want to be in for any surprises or not know what I was talking about.

I have read in a couple other places basically the same thing that you just said.

I did find out that there is a difference between registering as a classic and as an antique.

If you register as a classic there is no limited use. If you register as an antique there is limited use.

Apparently to run vintage plates you have to register as one or the other.