Z-bar Conversion Kit Intallation

BullittStangV8

Founding Member
Oct 5, 2002
NJ
Anyone have any links to diagrams/write ups about how to mount/install the z-bar conversion kits needed to run a z-bar style clutch set up on a late 5.0? (the kit mounts on the transmission I believe instead of the block). I did a search and didnt find any specifics. Since 5.0 swaps are so common, it would be good to get some pics/write ups done.
Mike

• Sponsors (?)

Its pretty simple. Triangular piece with three holes. One is threaded. The two non-threaded holes mount under two of the tranny-to-engine bolts. The pivot supplied with the kit screws into the threaded hold. Pretty much only goes on one way.

I'm sorry for not being so clear. I understand how the z bar conversion plate mounts, but more of how you run you z-bar and linkages to the clutch fork when using the conversion kit.

Ok. I finally figured it out, So i figure I should do a little write up for people who try and do the same swap/install.

So late model roller block into a 65-66 mustang, with toploader, and still using factory Z-bar.

1) you need the conversion bracket
2) You need the bracket for the other side of the z-bar to pivot on, which is located under the steering box, and the frame rail.
3) the bolts to mount the above mentioned bracket to the frame.

1) Mount the z-bar conversion bracket on to the transmission, with the "pivot point" facing toward the front of the car.
2) Mount the frame bracket on to the car, with the felt washer and bearing
3) The z-bar will pivot inbetween the header primaries if you are using LT's.
4) Mount the zbar onto the clutch rod, and onto the z-bar pivot and frame pivots.
5) Adjust the threaded rod which activated the clutch rod, as the distances are slightly different after the swap.
6) Hooker super comp headers will need to be clearanced to allow the bracket on the transmission to fit.

Hope this helps, because it took me a heck of a long time to figure it out, since i was missing the frame bracket.

Mike

Even then you're lucky if things fit like they're supposed to. :rolleyes:

Case in point:
z-bar.jpg