Engine Zinc additive

• Sponsors (?)

Driven and Comp Cams both make additives to replace the ZDDP. I myself just run Rotella 15w40 conventional, it still has ZDDP.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes any heavy truck engine oil rated cj4, ck4 etc. would have the Zinc in it Just avoid synthetics as mentioned by 74stangtogo until you break in the engine.

There are specific break in oils from several manufacturers which are designed for this also.

A lot of the truck oil for semi's now can be semi synthetic and it isn't really obvious on the label. Avoid any that say "blends" on them etc. as this is a clue.

I have a lot of new old stock Valvoline oil (in cans) that i use for break in until I run out.

Reactions: 1 user
If you have an oil with the SAE spec API-SF there should always be ZDDP inside.
You still can add additives...
The oil should contain a miniumum of 1000 ppm ZDDP, but it is diffcult to get the number form the oil brand.

I've used Valvoline VR-1 Racing in mine for almost 30 years now. Currently have almost 69,000 miles on the engine with it, no problems at all. It's keeping the lifters happy while running a lumpy cam with heavy springs & roller rockers.

Reactions: 1 users
I've used Valvoline VR-1 Racing in mine for almost 30 years now. Currently have almost 69,000 miles on the engine with it, no problems at all. It's keeping the lifters happy while running a lumpy cam with heavy springs & roller rockers.
VR-1 is fantastic stuff, but all the parts stores around me quit carrying it in anything but 20w50. I've started ordering my daily driver's oil online, so I guess I could do that too.

A quick check shows Amazon has VR1 in 10W-30, $45 and change. I've always run 20W-50 year round because I live on the south Oregon coast and temps are mild (40's-70's year round, rare drops into the 30's). I don't drive it in snow and I do drive it through eastern Oregon during the summer (90's-100's) so overall it's a good fit for our car.