03 Cobra SPEC STAGE 3

Black331Stang

Apr 29, 2003
Long Island, NY
ok heres the deal--my friend just had a spec stage 3 clutch put in his cobra and the guy said drive it easy for 500 miles. he also said it was gonna rattle and make some noise for a while but it will work itself out. ?. i had a clutch job on my 89 done there and the same crap the TOB rattled the very next day. Anyway the car is like impossible to drive normally. it grabs kinda high and to take off from a stop normally without the car make this nasty grinding, bucking noise is near impossible - unless u give it like 2500 + RPM. is this just cause we are not used to it yet or does this pretty serious clutch need a *****load of rpm to go? i was thinking maybe its desined for strict racing and meant to be dumped at like 5000+ so it doesnt grab right at low RPM.... any help or insight would be awesome. thanks :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

Black331Stang said:
ok heres the deal--my friend just had a spec stage 3 clutch put in his cobra and the guy said drive it easy for 500 miles. he also said it was gonna rattle and make some noise for a while but it will work itself out. ?. i had a clutch job on my 89 done there and the same crap the TOB rattled the very next day. Anyway the car is like impossible to drive normally. it grabs kinda high and to take off from a stop normally without the car make this nasty grinding, bucking noise is near impossible - unless u give it like 2500 + RPM. is this just cause we are not used to it yet or does this pretty serious clutch need a *****load of rpm to go? i was thinking maybe its desined for strict racing and meant to be dumped at like 5000+ so it doesnt grab right at low RPM.... any help or insight would be awesome. thanks :nice:

I have the same clutch with an Aluminum flywheel (like the 03 has).

The clutch gets better with time.. Mine started getting better at 300 miles and what not. The Spec 3 and Aluminum flywheel does require a little more RPM during take off.. It's not a clutch that will act like a stock clutch. It's an ON/OFF clutch that will take some serious HP....

So.. While it will get better with miles, it's not going to be anything like the stock clutch that was in the 03.

Shawn

Im on clutch number three....

I just went FMS Racing again since the last one lasted a full season after I smoked it bad..i figured now that I have line locks i should be fine with it..(im running around 444hp)

Even with the FMS CLutch i was told the same. Basically expect weird things to happen during the break in period...500 miles of city driving.. TORTURE PURE TORTURE.....

anyway mine wasnt as bad as your describing probably because its not a spec stage three....but it was hard to drive at first.. mine was grabbing real low and i would almost stall every time would start moving..... with 410 miles on it its feels pretty good... Even the FMS clutch feels different than the stock one. I actually liked the firmness of the original clutch.....but for racing i guess the lighter feel is better..

I just got my car back from the shop, they put in a new clutch and im having trouble with it as well. I guess its just the break in period because it feels better and better as i drive. When i first drove it out of the shop i stalled a couple times trying to take off, but now im getting the hang of it. Im a tech but i really dont deal with clutches so i hope that it does get better.

hey guys, i have a cf dual friction in my clutch and after the 500 mile break in, mine started to feel really good but just recently for some reason now it feels like ****, has a funny feeling that feels like its within the cable, i had an adjustable cable put in as well but i have no idea what to do with it under the hood ??????????????????????????