03 GT oil change?

03SteedaGT

Oct 27, 2003
Knoxville, TN
I'm goin by the OM which says 6qts please tell me if I'm wrong. when I did it last time it held 7qts and I was told that is too much, but is still full on the dipstick. I know the dipstick is wrong so I really need help. Is 6qts right or should I go with 6.5qts to be safe and split the diference.

• Sponsors (?)

Sorta on the same subject, my GT has 300 miles on it, its brand new. I checked the oil and I'm a good inch on the dipstick OVER the full mark! Why did my GT come with too much oil, and should I drain some?

I just changed the oil on my '02. Put 4 in, started it up for a few seconds for the filter to fill up and it circulate. Shut it off, waited 2 or 3 minutes then put another 1 1/2 in it. So 5 1/2 to the full mark. This was using an 820S filter.

1. Never overfill! never
2. it's better to be a little under than a little over.
3. make sure you are checking while your car is level and not on ramps (you would be suprised)
4. your right, 6 qts is what ford specifies and that should be full on the dip stick. If not then you should ask ford why not.

ok I put in like a .25 or so in the filter just to get it wet. then add the rest of the oil. I work at jiffy lube and I know that the 02's hold 5qts. and the 03's hold 6qts. that is going by the OM on both years. but i don't want to over fill my car again!!!!!!! 3k hard miles with 7qts can't be good for it!! Anyone with any info please help!!!

The motor pulls oil through the filter, so if you put the filter on with "just enough to get it wet" then it is running with no oil long enough for it to pump up. That isn't good, you should fill the filter almost full and put it on, then fill the motor up to full.

Why did the fluid level change from 02 to 03? Did they change the 2v design between those years? That doesn't sound right to me.

This is nuts...what the hell is Ford doing. Both my 97 Expedition and my 96 GT take 6 quarts. Then later some of them take 5. Now mismarked dipsticks. I would think with all the misinformation if something broke they would be liable. I know I'd get me a lawyer.

i did mine

for the first time 2 weeks ago i went with quaker state full synthetic 5w-30 and i used 6 qts. i own a 2003 gt and i havent had any troubles out of it actually i think the car runs a little better i got 12,000 miles on mine. i say use 6 qts. nothing more nothing less. :flag: :nice: :banana:

1slow03gt said:
ok i got another question...i'm about due for my first oil change soon should i use regular oil this time and hold off for the switch to synthetic till about 6k miles or should i go ahead and do it now?

I doubt that it matters much either way.

I switched to synthetic (Mobil1 5W-30) at 1300 miles, then switched to dino (Motorcraft 5W-20) at 4200 miles, then back to synthetic (Amsoil 0W-30) at 6000 miles (I was not sure whether to buy into that 5W-20 crapola), and I've used Amsoil 0W-30 ever since. My Mustang has 30,000 miles, and I've never had any problems with it.

By the way, some later 2002 Mustang GTs, such as mine, take 6 quarts. Just refer to the owner's manual. With 6 quarts, mine goes right to the middle, halfway between "fill" and "full" on my dipstick. Be sure to let it run a little bit after filling it, to make sure it's filled the filter, and then turn it off, before measuring it.