05 GT: Bassani VS. Flowmaster - thoughts?

steeda is actually borlas older mufflers I believe...i Know that it is borla muffs though. SLP is a straight through design and if you plan on running an off road pipe do not buy slp. It is the loudest exhaust you can put on a mustang. With an off road pipe it gets really raspy and gurgly, not smooth at all. I have had many exhaust systems on mustangs. Flows are classic and sound good with just about anything. Mac is pretty much the same sound as the flows except it is deeper and a little louder. I have welded in stainless macs on my car and love them. spintech is a good muff but sounds a little different but very loud. I honestly like bassani the best for a straight through design. They have a very smooth sound to them that just sings. I'm more of a chambered guy myself though.

Oh yeah, despite what companies claim, every catback you can put on the car including flows and bassani will be within 1-2 hp of another. You get most of your hp from the off road midpipe and virtually none from the catback....5 or less. I have seen many dyno reports from people, not companies, to prove this also. You won't start to see the benefits of a great flowing muffler or even a catback until you are up over the 500 rwhp barrier....and that is proven also

• Sponsors (?)

cadde300 said:
steeda is actually borlas older mufflers I believe...i Know that it is borla muffs though. SLP is a straight through design and if you plan on running an off road pipe do not buy slp. It is the loudest exhaust you can put on a mustang. With an off road pipe it gets really raspy and gurgly, not smooth at all. I have had many exhaust systems on mustangs. Flows are classic and sound good with just about anything. Mac is pretty much the same sound as the flows except it is deeper and a little louder. I have welded in stainless macs on my car and love them. spintech is a good muff but sounds a little different but very loud. I honestly like bassani the best for a straight through design. They have a very smooth sound to them that just sings. I'm more of a chambered guy myself though.

Oh yeah, despite what companies claim, every catback you can put on the car including flows and bassani will be within 1-2 hp of another. You get most of your hp from the off road midpipe and virtually none from the catback....5 or less. I have seen many dyno reports from people, not companies, to prove this also. You won't start to see the benefits of a great flowing muffler or even a catback until you are up over the 500 rwhp barrier....and that is proven also
Thanks, guys!! I'll keep you posted on my decision. FINALLY got my VIN # today and my baby should be in production next week (hopefully).

I just ordered the Flowmaster American Thunder Axle-Back kit, so I will also let you know how it sounds after I get it bolted on. For me, I'm not interested in anything super-loud or gaining HP from it. I just liked the look and the little beefier sound, and I think FM is good and reasonable for that. A loud exhaust doesn't interest me, it's more annoying than anything.

Actually, I think I agree with you on the FM. Let me know how it sounds when you get it put on. I have at least another 6-8 weeks until my baby arrives since I just got my VIN # today. I would love to increase HP, but agree with you on the annoyance of loud exhaust. I find it irritating as hell. As a matter of fact, my brother had a Bassani something or other installed on his new 04 Cobra and it was so freaking loud he had to have it removed - yep, dropped almost a grand for all of that.

ZenGirl35 said:
Actually, I think I agree with you on the FM. Let me know how it sounds when you get it put on. I have at least another 6-8 weeks until my baby arrives since I just got my VIN # today. I would love to increase HP, but agree with you on the annoyance of loud exhaust. I find it irritating as hell. As a matter of fact, my brother had a Bassani something or other installed on his new 04 Cobra and it was so freaking loud he had to have it removed - yep, dropped almost a grand for all of that.

ZenGirl35,

Read my thoughts in post #18. I love them. :D

I just installed my Bassani axle back system and it sounds better than anything else I've heard and I didn't realize how huge the tips were IMO it's almost ricer. But I don't expect any performance increase as it's just a slip on muffler replacement. I'm still trying to figure out what to do about X pipe and headers.

ZenGirl35 said:
What are you guys' thoughts on the two? Is one better than the other or is it a matter of personal preference?

PS - My brother insists on Bassani and has them installed on his 04 Cobra. Just wanted to get other male opinions :D

Zen, I am going with flowmasters myself.

I seem to remember an entire page in the Mustang GT brochure devoted to the design that went into the stock exhaust system. They made it sound like they spent a lot of time and effort getting performance and a good tone out of the exhaust. Yet, there are so many posts on this forum about changing to aftermarket exhaust. Was Ford lying? Is the stock exhaust that inferior to Flowmaster, Bassani, etc? Or is changing out the stock exhaust just what all the cool kids are doing? :D

Well, cheezsnake, you obviously don't have your mustang yet. Or, if you do, then you haven't listened to it closely. I know that before the first mustang was produced, scientists spent countless hours on a computer fine tuning the sound of the exhaust/engine to that perfect 'American muscle-car' sound. But, in reality, I believe (along with others who changed their exhaust) that it just isn't loud enough. Sure, the motor sounds good, but there isn't any rumble to go along with it. Just like everyone else said - the exhaust is simply a preference. But, for most mustang enthusiasts, a loud, deep, sexy rumble is very important.

cheezsnake said:
I seem to remember an entire page in the Mustang GT brochure devoted to the design that went into the stock exhaust system. They made it sound like they spent a lot of time and effort getting performance and a good tone out of the exhaust. Yet, there are so many posts on this forum about changing to aftermarket exhaust. Was Ford lying? Is the stock exhaust that inferior to Flowmaster, Bassani, etc? Or is changing out the stock exhaust just what all the cool kids are doing? :D

In my oppinion, the stock exhaust sounds great; I love the deep, smooth tone it gives out. I just wish I could turn it up a bit. If I can find an aftermarket cat-back or axle-back that does that, I'd get it. Otherwise I'll just wait until I can afford an entire exhaust system, from headers to tips, and then figure out which one is my favorite.

allcarfan said:
flowmaster vs bassani

is like

mustang II vs 05 gt

Yup........ :cheers:

Honestly I would be willing to bet that on a dyno you will se ZERO improvement over the stock exhaust....I have seen losses when installing Flowmaster on some LT1/LS1 cars...it is strictly for sound IMHO. Flowmaster is cheaper for a reason.

Don't ignore the Magnaflow exhausts....they sound and perform good without the huge costs....

ShadowBok said:
In my oppinion, the stock exhaust sounds great; I love the deep, smooth tone it gives out. I just wish I could turn it up a bit. If I can find an aftermarket cat-back or axle-back that does that, I'd get it. Otherwise I'll just wait until I can afford an entire exhaust system, from headers to tips, and then figure out which one is my favorite.

I would say get yourself an offroad X pipe, it will perform better then any aftermarket catback, and give you the additional sound you are looking for all while maintaining the stock exhaust. Plus they are cheaper than the catbacks out there.

Again, JMHO :nice:

bleedingvayneAD said:
Well, cheezsnake, you obviously don't have your mustang yet. Or, if you do, then you haven't listened to it closely. I know that before the first mustang was produced, scientists spent countless hours on a computer fine tuning the sound of the exhaust/engine to that perfect 'American muscle-car' sound. But, in reality, I believe (along with others who changed their exhaust) that it just isn't loud enough. Sure, the motor sounds good, but there isn't any rumble to go along with it. Just like everyone else said - the exhaust is simply a preference. But, for most mustang enthusiasts, a loud, deep, sexy rumble is very important.

You're right. I don't have my mustang yet, which is why I was asking. There's nothing wrong with changing out exhaust. I've had it done a couple times before myself, but that was with classic mustangs. It just seemed to me that Ford tried to point out the GT exhaust system as one of the many selling points, and I was wondering if I could believe that or if I needed to start putting away some money for an aftermarket exhaust.

Yup, the stock sound is pretty good - just not loud enough IMO. So, I've been kicking around the idea of going with an offroad MAC Prochamber instead of changing out the mufflers. Only problem with that is then you have to get a computer tune and there are also issues about having to put the stock piece back on any time you need warranty service... etc.

Ps ;-)

I'm not totally convinced about changing my exhaust which is the main reason I posted this thread to begin with. My brother is a crackhead about his 04 Cobra and he made a huge mistake (which he admitted afterward) when he altered the exhaust on his Cobra. I am by no means an expert, and he and I went round and round about the exhaust issue. He had something put on and it was SO LOUD that the military police on base stopped him. It was out of control. Even all of his racing mod buddies told him the car was insanely loud. I want a traditional 'Stang roar, but I don't want to go deaf!

:D

96vert said:
...Only problem with that is then you have to get a computer tune and there are also issues about having to put the stock piece back on any time you need warranty service... etc.

I've heard that. Is that really the case? Is that for any warranty service?