10° vs 14° Timing

• Sponsors (?)

On my to do list... But ill be running higher rpm 3-5500. Is it liable to make it detonate up top? I'll check it anyway, maybe go conservative, like 12. Will be running premium w/ octane booster.

(J/k bout the booster just ruffling some feathers lol)

Also, some octane boosters do work. Torco and Boostane essentially turn 91 octane into 96. Not sure if that's what you were getting at, but I'm a skeptic of the snake oils out there, and I believe in them.

Right, not doubting it. Im sure most are legit for what they are. I was just joking about it, cuz its a pain to have it on hand for every fill up etc.. also cause some might be like dont run that crap for xyz reason.

Ya it is a lack of trust in how good they work.

I agree. Even on torco's bottles it claims higher octane than it gets to unless they're referring to RON and not R+M/2 like the pumps are rated... If not deceitful, it's at least misleading to the general public. But yeah, I would never tune my car to run more than what I get at the pump. I don't want to be stuck to putting bottles of stuff in the gas.

Reactions: 1 users
Back when I bought my car in '05 this is exactly what I did. Run premium fuel and set base timing to 14 degrees btdc. It actually does make a big difference. It will make your engine idle a little higher so typically you'd reset your idle after setting your timing.

Now I've got a MegaSquirt standalone computer so I don't ever have to touch my distributor again.

Reactions: 1 user