10 grand for the tech Stangers

91foxbod50

Sep 26, 2007
Hey all, I havent posted in a long time. But im takeing a 10 grand loan to play around with for my 91 5.0 gt. Before i get into modding i'd like to get an opinion. I have a few problems with the car.

It feels like it has no power. I was thinking maybe worn heads or something of the sort.

2nd gear is starting to grind, the trans is an origional t-5

Suspension could use some refreshing.

What I was thinking,

Picking up a Ford Racing t-56 Transmission 2,600

Road and track box suspension= 2,400

Eddlebrock PERFORMER WITH 2.02"/1.60" VALVES & 60CC COMBUSTION CHAMBER =1,300

Eddlebrock Performer Intake= 900

70mm throttle body=300

Ford racing 24 lb injector kit w/ pump=300

Hooker 1.75 long tube headers= 500

Mac h pipe for long tubes= 160

Slp loudmouth Exhaust for gt =500

Grand total 8,960 With the extra money I plan to cover shipping cost.

This will be my first loan, Im not only looking for power im also hopeing to have a good solid car to get me back and forth from base to home.

Any advice to save money or parts that dont go to well let me know. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

If you aren't looking for power then you can get a cheaper tranny.

Ford Racing M-7003-Z is a T5 for just under 1,300. It will handle 330 ft/lbs. You certainly won't be throwing more then that at it. Unless you absolutely have to have a 6th gear stay with the T5.

AFR Heads are generally considered a better bang for your buck head. For 80-111 dollars more you can pick up some 165cc or 185cc heads which flow better then the Edelbrocks. I'm not a Fuel Injection guy but I think you may need to step up on the injector size.

1 5/8" Headers are going to give you more performance at your level of horsepower. Bigger isn't always better.

SLP exhaust with an O/R x pipe is said to sound bad. Check the thread "What sounds good" for more info on this.

Suspension sounds overpriced to me. It'll be fun but you can certainly get away with less and still have similar characteristics. Might look into something significantly cheaper so you can spend your money elsewhere.

Something you should look into is gears for your rear end. 4.11's will be a little high for highway driving with a T5. Doable with a T56. Most go with(I believe) 3.55's for manuals and 3.73's for autos. Either is a good choice.

That's all I can think of for now but I am excessively tired. Other can give you more input.

Edit.

1.7 Ratio Roller Rockers would be good too if you want to stay with the stock cam. You can pick a kit up for 200 dollars through Summit Racing.

If it were me I would just get a trick flow top end kit. Comes with heads, cam, intake, roller rockers, new timing chain set, valve covers.. Not much more than what you are planning on so I think it would be worthy to look at

Before you just throw 10 big away how about telling us what you're trying to accomplish and exactly what you have. The truth is this.... Unless you plan on going road racing there is no reason in the world to spend $2600 on a suspension kit unless the only reason you have is that you can say you have it.

Also if you're planning on using the stock shortblock then you may have a clearance problem with those big valve Edelbrock heads.

If it were me I would just get a trick flow top end kit. Comes with heads, cam, intake, roller rockers, new timing chain set, valve covers.. Not much more than what you are planning on so I think it would be worthy to look at

X2, the TFS top end kit is pretty awesome, the price it right and it comes with everything, a matched kit thats proven to make alot of power. i say get that than buy heads and intake all seperatly.

It'd be a bummer to throw all that money at the car and then have a tired, stock bottom end puke a week later. I also second the thought about the suspension. If it is going to be a street driven car, I'd get a set of good springs, good struts and good shocks and call it done.

Ya, i'm with wythors on this, how many miles on your engine? Worn heads are rarely a low on power issue.
If you were to put all that money into the chasis and drivetrain and the shortbock goes, you'd have nothing more than a 3200lb paper weight.
I'd truely consider a ford racing crate engine, the gt40x makes good power and provides you with a good foundation.

If you feel your shorblock is good, move on to the top end.
I'd disagree with evilfox, afrs have not been proven to do anything better than any other head other than being more expensive.
I also like the trick flow kit, but would always consider buying a ford racing top end setup too.

I too agree with not going nuts with the suspension.
Springs, shocks, subs, lower control arms, and Panhard bar would be on my list, along with some CC plates.
Shop well, and you can have all this for $1000.

A t56 is a vanity mod, yes very cool, but still doesn't do anything you can't do with a 5 speed in your case for less than half the money. And if you have your trans rebuilt, you can save 75% over a t56 setup.

No need for long tubes, especially since you aren't trying to squeeze every hp out of this thing. Find a good set of equal lenght headers.

Don't use mac anything, unless of course you like doing work twice.

Honestly, i feel that you can accomplish what you are looking for, for about 3 grand less. Which could go towards a shortblock if necessary.
Figure:
$3000 to complete the h/c/i setup
$1000 suspension
$800 exhaust
$800 trans rebuild and clutch

$10,000 + sold '91 Fox would go a heck of a long way towards a newer car.

I personally think its silly taking out a loan for parts that aren't a necessity. Just sayin :shrug:

Good point.
It's one thing to use the car as a hobby, do a little project here or there with extra cash.
Whole different issue to own a car worth $4000 and owe $10,000 because of it.

forget about the T56...the T5 5th gear and T56 6th gear are the same ratio (unless you order it optioned out w/ different ratios). the T56 5th gear is like adding a gear between 4th & 5th on the T5. Get an Astro performance T5 kit for about $1300, handles ~350 tq.

what is your reasoning for wanting a T56 btw?

Let's not all judge his financial situation. He wants to spend $10K on his car, so let him. He's the one that has to pay it back.

Is it smart?? Prob not, but they again everyone who bought a $500K home when they had a $35K/year job probably thought it was a good idea at the time too.

haha wow, besides all the bashing bout him taking out a 10k loan being stupid, which I completely agree with, let the man do what he wants. Im sure he has his reasoning and its him that will be in the hole 10gs. With that said, like everyone else said, stay away from the
t56 and get that t5z, im picking one up for my 90GT this friday, because I like that 5th gear ratio for highway driving. The trickflow top end kit does look pretty enticing as well, I was looking at them last night on summit's site, get some springs, good shocks, upper and lower control arms and u should be more than happy with the suspension.

lol @ bentley

Seriously dude, unless you're going to be a big time money maker in a year and just want the car now, don't limit yourself with a loan. You will only be taking away options for decisions in the future. Good luck.

Oh, and there's nothing wrong or difficult about putting a T56 in a fox. Plus, they are much more stout than the T5z, and the ones with a .5 6th gear will pay for themselves in gas saved some day.

Chris

$10,000 + sold '91 Fox would go a heck of a long way towards a newer car.

I personally think its silly taking out a loan for parts that aren't a necessity. Just sayin :shrug:

Im with you gearbanger I tried to ignore this thread over aggravation.
I'm not even reading anymore of this thread this is the craziest thing I have ever heard!! HOLLY BALLS!! :jaw: must be nice to be able to blow 10k like that.oh wait you don't have the money to do so....!! :nonono: