12.5s, what do I need to do to get there?

• Sponsors (?)

tvanlant said:
I have a 99 GT 5 speed with PI heads. I currently ran a 13.6 at 100mph. I want to run a 12.5. Can you list what I need to do to my car to run this? Here is what I already have done to my car:

Cobra IRS from a 99 Cobra
4.10 Gears
Magnaflow Exhaust
H-pipe
Gutted cats
Underdrive Pullies
K&N induction kit
Sachs Clutch

Thanks, Tyler

a 99 with PI heads....interesting.
get a blower.

Sarcastic LOL, all 99-04s came with PIs. The only way your gonna get 12.5s N/A is by getting some MPH stg 3 race heads, MPH custom cams, forged SB with 10.1-1 compression (RPMs should be in the 7200RPMS range...I wouldnt do that on the stock SB), and LTs, O/R X, electric waterpump, upper plenum, 75MM TB, and a decent plastic CAI. (it will help more on a motor like that since it will be pulling ALOT more air then stock)....You should have 320-330 RWHP pretty easy with that setup, and MAY go into the 11s with slicks and some weight reduction...I know a guy with 340RWHP auto LS1 and he ran a 12.3 @ 109 or 111 on DRs. On street tires or Drs, you should be able to hit that 12.5 and trap a good 110.

Thats not true. There are many people running low low 12's with stock heads and intake even. You need to get around 280-290 rwhp, some suspension, slicks, and balls to pull like 1.6 sixty times...that will put you in the low 12's without a problem. a set of 4.30's won't hurt either.

hotmustang331 said:
The only way your gonna get 12.5s N/A is by getting some MPH stg 3 race heads, MPH custom cams, forged SB with 10.1-1 compression (RPMs should be in the 7200RPMS range...I wouldnt do that on the stock SB), and LTs, O/R X, electric waterpump, upper plenum, 75MM TB, and a decent plastic CAI. (it will help more on a motor like that since it will be pulling ALOT more air then stock)....

:bs:

Im sorry, but to me, a REAL mid-low 12 second car is about the trap, and real power....not launching at 6500RPMS and pull a 12.5 @ 102 LOL. If that what he wants then yea you dont need all that, but you will still get RAPED on the highway buy a lightly modded LS1. My way, you would run EASY low 12s and murder all but the fastest LS1s on the highway. i just worded that wrong...YOU CAN HIT 12s ON THE STOCK HEADS AND INTAKE. You just got to rev like mad and launch at HIGH rpms and risk tearing up things....But any blower 2V will still rip you a new one one the highway, and have all his interior and stock tires. N/A is a waste IMO, sure you can pull 12s but you WILL NOT do it at full weight...DK your raceweight is just over 3100 pounds, our race weight is over 3500pounds. Otherwise with fullweight, you wouldnt be much faster than anyone else. Sorry, but gutting a car and running skinnys is just a track queen, and on the street in street trim you wont run like that, espically at a race weight of 3500. My time was run at full weight and on my street tires...my time is what i REALLY run on the street.

It depends how you run. If you race from a 40 or 50 mph roll what is the point, to see who has more horsepower. Who cares. Races should be from a stop and show who is the better driver. You can have 500 hp and still run in the 13's...The ability to drive a car is a mod that is highly overlooked. It is the best mod a car can have. Whats the point of racing if your not going to see what the car can do. You will not know how fast a car is launching at 2k on street tires and granny shifting all the way down the track. In reality, 400rwhp should be nothing short of an 11 sec car.

cadde300 said:
It depends how you run. If you race from a 40 or 50 mph roll what is the point, to see who has more horsepower. Who cares. Races should be from a stop and show who is the better driver. You can have 500 hp and still run in the 13's...The ability to drive a car is a mod that is highly overlooked. It is the best mod a car can have. Whats the point of racing if your not going to see what the car can do. You will not know how fast a car is launching at 2k on street tires and granny shifting all the way down the track. In reality, 400rwhp should be nothing short of an 11 sec car.

So you dont do any highway racing huh? or are you gonna stop a SRT-4 and tell him, hey im too much of a pansy to race on the highway cuz I know you will kill me so lets race from a stop since I have 315 DRs and full suspension and you have FWD on street tires. I dont like racing from a stop on the street, as there is to many things that can happen (oil, gravel ect), racing from a 60 roll, REALLY tells the tell of who has a faster car IMO. Not racing a car off the line, he has street tires, you have slicks....you run a 12.9 @ 104 and he runs a 13.1 @ 110....you even everything up, you will get killed...he asks for a run on te highway, what are you gonna say? Driver is one thing (ie BOTH cars have slicks, so it really comes down to power and driver) and real power is another.

Oh, BTW when I get my TTs...you can bet your butt im gonna use slicks LOL. I am NOT against slicks, but what im am saying is that just because you run 12.2s and another car runs 12.2s, DOESNT mean you would be even on the highway, and DOESNT mean his car is just as powerfull as yours. Not bashing anyone BTW. So no offence. Again i just worded that wrong, a car with a decent launch on slicks and full weight is going to need some power to back it up....maybe its just me, but for some reason when I picture slicks on our cars, I dont think of a 6K launch LOL, just like 4K...that what i would do. if your looking simply for ET man, then YES you dont have to do much...simply traction, good driving, weigh reduction, and some boltons... in that case these guys would be correct. But if you want a NICE car with full interior that can run low 12s no problem on DRs, then go my route.

hotmustang331 said:
So you dont do any highway racing huh? or are you gonna stop a SRT-4 and tell him, hey im too much of a pansy to race on the highway cuz I know you will kill me so lets race from a stop since I have 315 DRs and full suspension and you have FWD on street tires. I dont like racing from a stop on the street, as there is to many things that can happen (oil, gravel ect), racing from a 60 roll, REALLY tells the tell of who has a faster car IMO. Not racing a car off the line, he has street tires, you have slicks....you run a 12.9 @ 104 and he runs a 13.1 @ 110....you even everything up, you will get killed...he asks for a run on te highway, what are you gonna say? Driver is one thing (ie BOTH cars have slicks, so it really comes down to power and driver) and real power is another.

Racing from a roll is for pussies and dumbasses. Take it to the track. :OT:

cadde300 said:
Thats not true. There are many people running low low 12's with stock heads and intake even. You need to get around 280-290 rwhp, some suspension, slicks, and balls to pull like 1.6 sixty times...that will put you in the low 12's without a problem. a set of 4.30's won't hurt either.

No.. I don't really care about the actual track times. I meant I wan't to be able to run a 12.5 from power, not from 315s, suspension, and 6k launches. I am somewhat far from a track and most racing is on the highway or from a roll.

That said, it seems most of you think 12.5s will be reached only by nitrous or forced induction. If those are my only options, nitrous would be more practical due to the high expense of forced induction.

So...where do you think this idea will get me to?
Bigger rods
Forged pistons
Nitrous*

How far down will this setup get me? Which nitrous setup would be best for this? Any more input would be appreciated.

NX have tried and true pakages. I think a 100shot, conservative tune, and driving skills will make you happy for now. In addition, your motor might last longer than you think if tuned properly and treated with respect.

hotmustang331 said:
Im sorry, but to me, a REAL mid-low 12 second car is about the trap, and real power....not launching at 6500RPMS and pull a 12.5 @ 102 LOL. If that what he wants then yea you dont need all that, but you will still get RAPED on the highway buy a lightly modded LS1. My way, you would run EASY low 12s and murder all but the fastest LS1s on the highway. i just worded that wrong...YOU CAN HIT 12s ON THE STOCK HEADS AND INTAKE. You just got to rev like mad and launch at HIGH rpms and risk tearing up things....But any blower 2V will still rip you a new one one the highway, and have all his interior and stock tires. N/A is a waste IMO, sure you can pull 12s but you WILL NOT do it at full weight...DK your raceweight is just over 3100 pounds, our race weight is over 3500pounds. Otherwise with fullweight, you wouldnt be much faster than anyone else. Sorry, but gutting a car and running skinnys is just a track queen, and on the street in street trim you wont run like that, espically at a race weight of 3500. My time was run at full weight and on my street tires...my time is what i REALLY run on the street.

Are you suggesting he sell his GT and buy a LS-1 Camaro!!! :lol:

hotmustang331 said:
DK your raceweight is just over 3100 pounds, our race weight is over 3500pounds. Otherwise with fullweight, you wouldnt be much faster than anyone else. Sorry, but gutting a car and running skinnys is just a track queen, and on the street in street trim you wont run like that, espically at a race weight of 3500. My time was run at full weight and on my street tires...my time is what i REALLY run on the street.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but my car is far from a trailer queen, and is not stripped. All I have done is removed the rear seat and swapped out the fronts with a pair of Momos because I hated the stock leather seats. That's it. The majority of the weight loss on my car is from the wheels, tubular k setup, and the fact that at any given time, my car has 1/8 of a tank of gas or less. My track trim is my street trim because I don't drive the car any way other than the way it sits...yes, on the slicks and skinnies, so what I run at the track is what I run on the street. I don't remove anything at the track nor do I add anything for the ride home. Not everyone street races fast & furious style like you seem to believe. Around here, when there's money involved, races take place from a stop. If there's no money involved, what the hell is the point?