140 mph speedo

stykthyn

I want to measure mine. It doesn't look that tall.
15 Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
gainesville
I want to get white face guages for my car and the best looking ones onlty go up to 85 mph. is there a way I can calibrate to use the 140 speedo guages?

• Sponsors (?)

There's no special calibration or gear needed. The speedo itself takes care of scaling.

Now you can't go sticking the 140mph white overlay on top of an 85mph speedo or vice versa. But, if you find a 140mph speedo, you can throw it in the dash with the fancy white face overlay and be happy.

^^^^

huh?

my speedo gauge is an 85 one, and i would kill to use the 140 gauge one, but i dont know how to convert the speedo to work right with the 140 gauge

( i dont wanna be going 85 and it be reading 140 )

yeah I was gonna swap the whole cluster out first. I just couldnt find a concrete answer. some pple told me yeah it would work, others said no it wouldnt.

alright, so plain and simple, pulling a gauge cluster out of a 87-93 5.0 and putting it in mine is ALL i have to do, what about the tach, will it read right? it only goes to 6k, and the 5.0 goes to 7k and all that junk

sry, last time i thought somehting was that simple i tried to swap an 89 a4ld tranny into my 92, and that really really wasnt cool, and i do not want something of that magnitude of a headache again

I think that we just need to pull the speedometer off of the cluster and install it in ours. at least that is what I can figure from this thread if I read it right

Well at least one of you has reading comprehension skills.

One more time.

Swapping the cluster is where you run into problems. Stop. End of sentence.

It's an in and out deal if you change the speedometer, only the speedometer, and nothing but the speedometer. Stop. End of sentence.

Shinlee said:
alright, so plain and simple, pulling a gauge cluster out of a 87-93 5.0 and putting it in mine is ALL i have to do, what about the tach, will it read right? it only goes to 6k, and the 5.0 goes to 7k and all that junk

Oh crap! I made a mistake earlier. You need a speedo out of an '89-93 5.0 Mustang. I completely forgot that the '87-88s also had an 85mph speedometer.

Edit: Unless the '87-88 Mustang was a Special Service car(like Highway Patrol). They not only had a 140mph unit, but it was also calibrated. The officer could use the speedo reading as legal evidence.