140amp alternator enough? whats 'one wire' setup? should i get a optima battery?

staticc

Founding Member
Sep 28, 2002
Jupiter, FL
well im in the middle (still) of redoing my iginiton system, i just installed 24lb injectors and a 75mm pro-m mass air meter.
i have to put on a msd distributor, blaster 2 coil, wires, and my msd digital 6-plus box :)

then after that is all in. and running good again. im installing my 1,500watt amp and 12" sub.

now the msd box pulls 0.7amps per 1,000rpms.
not sure what my amp will pull for power.

but will a 140amp alternator from powermaster be enough for all of this extra stuff?
and what is this 'one wire' alternator stuff it advertises? do i have to convert wires over or something, or just plug n play?

and if im redoing all this. should i get an optima battery to go with it all? red/yellow/whichever? suggestions?

:shrug:

thanks, derek

• Sponsors (?)

I would seriously think that 140amp should be enough for a 1500w amp. may want to add a 1 farad (or bigger) capacitor with it if your lights dim when the bass hits.

as for one wire, I think basically 1 wire connects to your battery, and its grounded by being bolted to the engine. I don't know of any modifications you would need to do, but I don't think there are any.

I would definately upgrade the battery, but I'm not sure which you should go with. might wanna hop on optimas website and see if the list the differences between red and yellow.

if anybody else can add to this or correct some stuff, feel free to do so.

I recommend that you add a 4 gauge ground wire from the block to the place on the chasiss where the battery ground is located. The stock ground from the firewall is too small, and it is often damaged or missing.

I installed the powermaster 1 wire and it's great. One wire (supplied with the kit) from the alternator to the positive battery post. The old wire and plugs just get taped up and tied out of the way. It's also the 140amp and keeps the battery at a full charge for me (no amp). The voltmeter still works, as it's not tied into the alternator circuit.

I didnt care much for the powermaster one wire alternator. I had to be higher up in the rpms to get a decent charge, and that was with an overdrive pulley. Im much happier with the 3g alternator

I'm running march u/d pulleys and have had no problems with the powermaster. There is an optional 2nd wire you can install to help the alternator excite at low rpm's, but it wasn't necessary on my install, plus the powermaster fits the stock mount without cutting or grinding.