1964 1/2 disk brake conversion residual valve needed for rear drums?

tbr

Oct 19, 2018
CO
I'm installing the factory 4 piston front calipers/brackets/disks on the front.
I have a 1" dual manual master cylinder (CJ Pony) and an adjustable prop valve for the rear factory drum brakes.
Do I need a residual pressure valve for the rear drum brakes?
If so, what pressure valve should I get? Any suggestions where to purchase?
Also, do I use the single m/c push rod?
Any other things I should look out for when doing this conversion?
Thanks!!

• Sponsors (?)

I'm installing the factory 4 piston front calipers/brackets/disks on the front.
I have a 1" dual manual master cylinder (CJ Pony) and an adjustable prop valve for the rear factory drum brakes.
Do I need a residual pressure valve for the rear drum brakes?
If so, what pressure valve should I get? Any suggestions where to purchase?
Also, do I use the single m/c push rod?
Any other things I should look out for when doing this conversion?
Thanks!!

A MC that is designed for front disks and drum rears should have the residual pressure valve built in. You won't see it unless you removed the seat that the drum brake tubing bottoms out against. Best to leave the seat alone.

I used the single MC pushrod. Not all have been so lucky so you have to install to check it out.

The correct master will provide the right amount of brake fluid to the front and rear brakes but will not bias the brakes front to rear, so that everything locks up at about the same time. For that you need a proportioning valve. The stock disk brake system in a 65 Mustang had one mounted in the wheel well behind the shock tower, they are expensive/rare, and would probably need to be rebuilt if you found one, summit and others sell one with a knob you turn to set the bias, simple, and works great. By the way, great choice of brakes in my opinion on a early Mustang, no need to change spindles, cheap to have rebuilt. You have to push but stops on a dime.

I have one more question. My setup has the brake light pressure sensor on the M/C.
Any suggestions where do I purchase the adapter to install this sensor in the brake lines?
I've checked a few auto parts stores and they don't carry anything with these thread combinations.
Thanks!