1966 i6 steering/suspension help

So my new to me 66 i6 coupe has 5 lug on the front and back it still have drums in the back and calipers in the front now previous owner said the guy he bought it from did the swap and did not have any detail on the swap, all i know it has 17inch wheels cause the stock 14inch wouldn't clear the caliper.

I want to rebuild the steering and suspension and the kit from cj pony parts looks pretty good but will it still work since i have 5 lugs and not 4.

Also how can i tell what calipers the car came off of so i know what brake pads to purchase

here the kits i am looking to buy https://www.cjponyparts.com/supreme...5-1966/p/SUSK1/#tab-label-product-description

Attachments

• Photo May 15, 5 30 29 AM.jpg
    Photo May 15, 5 30 29 AM.jpg
    432.2 KB · Views: 163
  • Photo May 15, 5 31 30 AM.jpg
    Photo May 15, 5 31 30 AM.jpg
    368 KB · Views: 159
  • Photo May 15, 5 30 40 AM.jpg
    Photo May 15, 5 30 40 AM.jpg
    356.9 KB · Views: 172
  • Sponsors (?)

the popular disc brake swap for many years was the granada front disc system. they were cheap, easy to get parts for, and bolted in place of the stock spindles with a change of tie rod ends. the years of parts you would be looking for are 1975-1980 granada/monarch.

my advice would be to take the calipers and rotors down to your favorite parts store, and have them match up the components with what you have. they can start with the part numbers on the components and work from there.

as for the kit you are thinking about, i would buy the tie rod ends separately, and wait on buying them until you have verified the spindles you are using.

one more bit of advice, get yourself either a book like this one;

or get a notebook, and write down part numbers, and any other information that you think might be important. for instance, when you figure out which front brakes you have, write that information down in the note book under brakes so that when the time comes again to do repairs, you have the information at your fingertips. do the same with the whole car.

Ok this weekend I’ll pull her in the garage and get the rotors and calipers off to figure out exactly what I’m working with thanks for the advice and on that book I’ll definitely be order that to keep record and receipts for everything on this car.

So if it has a granada swap on it the kit I’m looking at will work but to purchase outer tie rods for a 75-80 granada instead of the ones in the kit correct?

Also what kind of alignment spec should I be looking into once I get everything put back together? I plan to do the Shelby drop on it and I saw alignment spec for the mod but I wonder it that will still work since it doesn’t not have factory spindle and tie rods?

Thanks for that info/pic I’m going to pull everything out to figure out exactly what I have now and I’ll post pics so I can research and buy the correct parts

The PO did mention with the wheels on it now that on U-turn the tire rub and he was going to install spacers

I plan to keep the i6 so I don’t need bigger better steering and suspension components this will just be a nice cruiser

Ok this weekend I’ll pull her in the garage and get the rotors and calipers off to figure out exactly what I’m working with thanks for the advice and on that book I’ll definitely be order that to keep record and receipts for everything on this car.

So if it has a granada swap on it the kit I’m looking at will work but to purchase outer tie rods for a 75-80 granada instead of the ones in the kit correct?

Also what kind of alignment spec should I be looking into once I get everything put back together? I plan to do the Shelby drop on it and I saw alignment spec for the mod but I wonder it that will still work since it doesn’t not have factory spindle and tie rods?

for alignment specs, i like to use +.5 to -.5 camber
+4 to +6 caster
1/16" to 1/8" toe in

these seem to work well for the street.

Ok so had some other maintenance to do on other cars but finally got garage space i pulled the mustang in and took the wheel off and this is what is on the car...I know i need to look into a bigger space because on U turn the tire hits the top of the control arm, but does this 5 lug disc brake set up looks like the granada?

UPDATE: i found out the calipers are from a 1979 monte carlo

Attachments

• Photo May 31, 4 11 14 PM.jpg
    Photo May 31, 4 11 14 PM.jpg
    389 KB · Views: 142
  • Photo May 31, 4 11 18 PM.jpg
    Photo May 31, 4 11 18 PM.jpg
    382.3 KB · Views: 159
  • Photo May 31, 4 13 09 PM.jpg
    Photo May 31, 4 13 09 PM.jpg
    323.5 KB · Views: 148
  • Photo May 31, 4 13 15 PM.jpg