1966 Mustang Exhaust System

DAZ

Founding Member
Jun 7, 2002
Endwell, NY
I am a NEWBIE to the Classic Section. I just purchased this vehicle.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...ndexURL=3&photoDisplayType=2#ebayphotohosting

Currently there is no exhaust system on the car. I want to get this car back on the street but at the same time, maximize its performance. The previous owner is sending Ceramic headers.

Question:
1.) What is the best exhaust configuration for this type of vehicle? X Pipe, H Pipe, or Straight Pipes?
Who makes the best system at the best price?

2.) Is it possible to put some type of Ball valve after the headers so that I can open up the exhaust at the
track?
If so, who makes them?

3.) Anybody want to come to Binghamton, NY and help me put the interior back together?

• Sponsors (?)

Acknowledging you post to keep you from falling off the page. :D I'm a "stock as a rock" guy so don't want to advise you.

ou should indicate how loud you want the car. Remember the actual gain may not be as great as you think if you are running an otherwise stock engine.

I'd LOVE to come to New York if you'll pay my plane ticket! :D

Personally, I'd forget the cutouts. They don't add anything but noise and may adversely effect your torque curve. As for the rest of the exhaust, it somewhat depends on the size of the collectors, but I'd suggest either 2.25" or 2.5" exhaust, w/H-pipe, and run them through Flowmaster 40's or Delta Flow 50's if you want less drone on the highway. Either set will work for you at the track.

BTW... There isn't enough money in the world to get me up to NY to freeze my butt off, at this time of year!!!

Good luck with the car.

LMan said:
I agree with Pony Farm, and also will add that if this isnt a dedicated strip car, youa are going to HATE those 4.56s with a C4 :D
I hate it up here too! Unfortunately thats where the job is.
I will be running the car in some bracket racing at the local track, so the
4.56 gears will be helpfull there. Most likely will not be doing any highway driving. Mostly around town and to cruise nights.
As far as noise... loud exhaust really don't impress me. Id rather have a quieter ride.
Damn its' cold up here!

H-pipe is usually used with chambered mufflers and an X-pipe with straight-thru mufflers. They produce pretty different sounds, the H making more of a muscle car sound and the X a european sports car sound. Most people I've seen use an H on older cars to get that famous rumble.
check out
www.mustangexhaust.com
www.exhaustsoundclips.com
for clips of different systems. Exhaustsoundclips has a muffler performance comparison chart as well, although I have no idea how accurate it really is.
Good luck.

NorCal66 said:
H-pipe is usually used with chambered mufflers and an X-pipe with straight-thru mufflers. They produce pretty different sounds, the H making more of a muscle car sound and the X a european sports car sound. Most people I've seen use an H on older cars to get that famous rumble.
check out
www.mustangexhaust.com
www.exhaustsoundclips.com
for clips of different systems. Exhaustsoundclips has a muffler performance comparison chart as well, although I have no idea how accurate it really is.
Good luck.

Thanks, I'll check out the Web Sites.
Any one know what the most quiet muffler is?
Not really into noise, just don't want to choke the engine with restrictive
pipes or muffler for the sake of quiet ride.