1966 Mustang paint colors

RDWilley

Jun 2, 2011
Hi all, Got a question on interior and exterior paint colors. I have a 1966 Mustang convertible. Stright body with only one minor bump on the lower left fender at the bumper line. I'm planning on going back to the orig. Nightmist exterior paint, white top and blue interior. On stripping the door panels and dash pad off, it looks like the orig. interior paint is several shades lighter then the Nightmist. Anyone out there know what the orig. interior color might have been?

Thanks much,

Dick

• Sponsors (?)

The interior paint was not Nightmist Blue. Ford did not use exterior colors on the interior. Foreign cars do that. The 1966 blue interior was a two-tone affair, with both dark and light blue. The painted items (dash, steering column, doors, quarter trim) as well as the kick panels and steering wheel were light metallic blue, while the dash pad, carpet, seat belts, and seat centers were dark blue.

1966_00141_06.jpg

Attachments

• 1966_00141_06.jpg
    1966_00141_06.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 18,960
I am currently restoring a 66 Mustang coupe. The drivers side door had been replaced at some point with a 65 door. Still has that data plate. The only thing I know for sure is that the original color was blue. What is the correct interior colors for this? Unfortunately in Fords great wisdom they destroyed all information for the 65 through 66 data plate info. :cautious:

I am currently restoring a 66 Mustang coupe. The drivers side door had been replaced at some point with a 65 door. Still has that data plate. The only thing I know for sure is that the original color was blue. What is the correct interior colors for this? Unfortunately in Fords great wisdom they destroyed all information for the 65 through 66 data plate info. :cautious:
Does your car have a buck tag under the hood?

The only 1966 Mustang blue interior paint was Medium Blue Poly.
Beyond that you will need to figure out if the car had standard buckets, standard bench, or the interior decor (pony) buckets.
After that you can figure out what the trim scheme was.