1966 sprint model front dics brake upgrade

• Sponsors (?)

I installed this kit from Toms Classics
1606412803929.png

Do you mean the pedal is soft? Or that it has too much travel? This is a fairly common complaint about power disc brake conversion and why I never reccomend people doing them...power brakes dont offer you anything over manual brakes except a lighter pedal feel...and often these kits dont take into account the bore size of the master cylinder(stock is 1", if you get a smaller bore MC than that, you will get a softer pedal and more travel). The real question is not the pedal feel, but whether you are getting the stopping power you expect, if it stops fine but feels soft...its likely a master cylinder bore size issue...if it doesnt stop fine, then you have air in the lines. Most of these aftermarket kits go with a 1" bore...the same size as the stock "fruit jar" manual brakes...adding power to a bore of that size will just make it feel soft compared to stock, even though its stopping fine. So, the following questions will help determine the issue.

1. Is the pedal travel the same as stock? Is it shorter? Is it longer?
2. What size bore is the master cylinder in the kit?
3. Does the pedal feel soft only when the engine is on and there is vacuum supplied to the booster? Or does it feel soft with the engine off as well?
4. Are any of your lines above the level of the master cylinder at any point?
5. And of course...are you sure the system is fully bled? A hand held vacuum pump on the bleeder valve can do wonders.

Last edited:
This is the master i have
1606531149029.png

Kit Includes:
7" Brake Booster with Mounting Brackets and Clevis Rod
Fits Models: 1964-1966 Ford Mustang with Automatic Transmisson

The pedal goes down 2 inches before anything happens it doesnt feel like power brakes at all and to get the car to stop you have to stand on the pedal theres 17lbs of vaccum at idle and theres no air in the lines .
The place i bought the kit from thinks its a bad power booster and they have sent one out just waiting for it to get here.
Had i known about all the issues with adding a disc brake conversion i would have left the non power drum