1969 Mustang Electrical Issues(please Help)

69stanguy

Nov 27, 2016
Hi everyone. Having issues with my 69 mustang coupe. 302. Replaced battery,regulator,starter selinoid,and alternator. She runs great except I'm noticing the lights are dimming and flickering when rev it. Also the battery is being drained completely. Having to jump it and my battery charger started to spark. Any suggestions

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    183.8 KB · Views: 165
  • Sponsors (?)

Sounds like you have a wire grounding somewhere? Did you replace all these things because of the battery and light issues or did they show up after?
Some (many) new voltage regulators coming from China are junk so keep that in mind. Check your engine grounds and frame grounds although the grounds wont cause your battery to drain but they will affect your lights.

I replaced it thinking it would solve the problem. But it's still making my voltages go off the charts! Could it be bad wiring. I've only had the car for 4 days. Came from Dallas . A lot of original parts

I replaced it thinking it would solve the problem. But it's still making my voltages go off the charts! Could it be bad wiring. I've only had the car for 4 days. Came from Dallas . A lot of original parts

Yes it could be bad or miswired wiring.
It could be a number of things. Not knowing the history makes it more difficult.
Does it have any aftermarket electronics installed? Like stereo or amp? Gauges?
Is there anything wired directly to the battery or solenoid posts other than the factory wires?
If not then I would start by looking for wires that have been chewed thru by animals first. Like under
the hood and under the dash. If its not blowing fuses then its likely shorting under the hood or its something that may be wired direct to the battery.

On the alternator, does the t bone/ rubber part have anything to do with my problem??? I pulled the old alternator off and found one connector corroted to where it wasn't even touching. When I replaced the new alternator, I just tied down to the posts, without the rubber piece.please feel free to contact me 346 316-0627 Andrew.

That rubber is there to keep the two separated so they don't short against each other or something else. Make sure the terminals aren't touching each other or the casing. If at any time they shorted out while the battery was connected you may have damaged the alternator or voltage regulator.

Take a volt reading at the battery while the car is running and see what you get compared to what you get at the battery with the key off.

it is possible that you got a bum alternator too so it might be a good idea to have it checked. Most auto parts places will check it for free.