1970 Grande won't start; looking for thoughts

JordanB21

Feb 6, 2012
Killeen, Texas
We have a 1970 grande that went in for a paint job about a year and a half ago and when they were done it didn't start anymore. What also happened was that they changed the price of the paint job after it was done so it's sat for so long out front a garage.

I'm planning to get it towed from there our property. My question is that where should I look for the problem in the mustang? I know the carb was taken out to add a kit and hasn't been put back in, but i'll get that taken care of. Other than that though what are the other possibilities.

Side note: The paint job looks great, it's a damn shame it hasn't been driven for this long.

• Sponsors (?)

I'm going to get it towed within a few weeks over here(where i live), but yeah the car was driven over to the shop back then and when I work on it I'll just use my battery and charge the old one too.
And they didn't take the engine out either.

I'll take some pictures so you guys can see the poor thing sitting today.

Jordan; Sorry to hear about the delay in your project. But with all that's gone on, I believe you should be very thorough before attempting to fire up your car. I would reccomend you start with the fuel system, making sure that you've gotten rid of all the old gas, and paint dust. If your car still has the original fuel tank, then this would be a good time to address that as well. Blow out all of your fuel lines, and install a new fuel filter between the carb, and the pump. Next I would change the fluids in the Motor, Trans and differential. Check your Coolant, and give everything a quick lube. I would highly reccommend that you pre-prime your engine oil, before running it. Once all of this has been done, I would install a good battery, and try to fire it up. Does you car have points? if your ignition system is in runnable condition, I would forego a tune-up, till after you've blown out the cobwebs..... Good luck with your car! Gotta love those Grand'es.....

Just my .02 sense.....

Turns out the battery was stolen, so that's something unavoidable in buying. I'll look up a guide on flushing out the fuel system and order a fuel filter and so forth like you suggested. Other fluids and all, that's actually a great idea since those fluids really could date (what's left) back to 98-2005.
I'm not sure what you mean by points though.

Great .02 sense! haha.

and here's some picture of it so atleast the paintjob can get some love(minus the rust on some of the rust on chrome pieces). Oh and in the body pic you can see the driver side fender light was stolen and the volt meter on the body before I found out the battery was stolen too.
And to the very bottom right corner on that other car hood is my old header to my 95' GT.
p_00388.jpg p_00389.jpg

To keep anyone who might care up to date I recently got the keys and I'm getting it towed here in a week. Then begins the flush and installing the carb(along with cleaning it up). I'm excited to see what I can do with it since not too much can be wrong with it.

hopefully the carb came off AFTER the paint/bodywork was done - otherwise you're going to have all that body filler dust and sanding grit down in the intake - if the carb was off - I'd take a real good look down the intake and if there is dust down there then I'd at the minimum pull the intake and clean it out and wipe out the intake runners before starting it up.

Since they stole the battery chances are someone siphoned the fuel out too - which may not be the worst thing in this case - there will be less to drain out in the event that you may need to :)

Oh it did, being that it came back not working they took it out and played with it in hopes to help. It's covered in dust but I have carb cleaner from when I cleaned my EGR in my 95'. I plan to fill the carb up after cleaning it and then putting it back in, also inspecting all the fuel lines for issues.

I'm hoping they siphoned the gas, haha :D saves me the trouble for sure. If there's any left I'll drain it, old gas won't do it any good.

I'm sure it hasn't been updated with an electronic ignition system, i'll take a look at the 'points' this weekend. I'm assuming you mean beneath the plugs where they connect, either way I'll read into it since I'm sure it's a common term. and maybe if I don't work too much get started on the liquid flushing. Finding time is killer-___-
Oh and the reason why I know so little is because I've actually only been reading about cars(specifically mustangs) for 5 months now, since I started driving. I've got a decent start but I lack a lot of the typical know how and terminology.

Coming back two months later. I'm richer in knowledge, I understand what points are. How simple I was thinking before. Anyways, sorry to awake this dead thread with a repost.

I need a shopping list. Assume I know nothing about what I need so all the bases are covered. I plan to make some head way with this project now that time is availiable.

to get the list started

10W40 oil (how much?)
Anti Freeze gallon or two
Tranny Fluid
Gasoline
Oil Pan

Notes:
Checking contacts tomorrow
Carb is still off, do I need to order a gasket for this? (plan to feed gas straight into carb)
the rear driver side tire went flat so I need to buy a new one.

Please reply as soon as possible so I can get to buying these parts/liquids and get started

you need 5 quarts oil but change the filter to ,anti freeze depends on the radiater, two for larger radiator or 50-50 with water ,trany fluid check the stick see if it shows wont be much untill it runs then check it again ,gassoline that depends on what is in your wallet at the time and the price of gass :eek:

Jordan; Just because the tire is flat, doesn't necessarily mean you need a new one! Take it to a Tire shop, and ask them to determine what caused it to go flat! Heck.... You may need all four replaced, or none at all! Oh... and add to your list a new Battery. lol

Good Luck. and Keep us Posted!

Shopping List:
1 five Quarts of Oil
2 Gallons of Anti-Freeze
Shop Towels
2 Seven quart containers
1 Funnel
1 Degreeser (hehhhh)
1 Oil Filter (need to get it switched, grabed a PH5 but I think I need a Ph8A by fram D: )

Possibly need to order a new carb to lower intake gasket, need to use carb cleaner on the carb, and need to get 4 hold down bolts for the carb.
Still need to get a gallon or so of cheap 87 octane gas;)

The tire did go flat while sitting after being towed, hmmm compressor time :D

I'll keep you guys up to date every step of the way, involving even minor buys

Today I switched out the oil filter after about an hour with the wrong tools, emptied the oil (of course), and took the carb in and sprayed it with carb cleaner and degreaser.
This wasn't post worthy till while cleaning it a piece of metal fell out of it. I doubt this should've been in there but, hey, you never know:p

Tomorrow I'm going to get tranny fluid and a few more quarts of oil (I think my car needs 6 or 7 quarts based off of how much drained), and then fill the breather cap up with oil.

A quick question, I just have a large radiator, but I didn't notice a drain plug on the bottom of the radiator, how do I drain it?

Attachments

• IMG_2124.JPG
    IMG_2124.JPG
    240.6 KB · Views: 173
if you just have an origional oil pan it will only take 5 quarts to fill ,check the dip stick tube it may not be all the way in the timing cover or you may have the wrong stick do not over fill ,the radiator drain is at the bottom of the radiator on the drivers side lower tank ,your pics are to fuzzy to make out for the piece of metal,but look inside the intake throat to make sure that nothing is in there

Here is a shot of the choke and lower intake connection
Ordered the missing gasket for it today also.
And then here is a much higher quality picture of the piece of metal that's a little less than a centimeter thick.

Noted woodsnake, transmission it is

Attachments

• DSC09174.JPG
    DSC09174.JPG
    400 KB · Views: 198
  • DSC09175.JPG
    DSC09175.JPG
    671.7 KB · Views: 211
  • DSC09176.JPG
    DSC09176.JPG
    395.4 KB · Views: 185
yeah the piece of metal does not belong there, the carborator is the factory type
2 venturi or 2 v autolite or motorcraft ,you should rebuild it while you have it off
it is a very simple carborator to rebuild, a kit is easy to get and has instructions inside.
just another healpfull hint, keep you pics. small enough to view without having to schroll around to view them,unless your tring to pin point a very small spot makes it a little easier to view, jim